If you’re big into dying your black hair from the comfort of your home, chances are you’re going to have to use the bleach sooner or later. When it comes to lightening dark hair, it’s almost impossible to get results when not using bleach.
It goes without saying that not all bleaches are created the same, but you’re going to be able not to end up with a lemon if you learn to identify the generic brands and the top professional hair bleach options.
When it comes to bleaching the black hair, you cannot settle with just the next thing you find over the counter. After all, you want to also hold on to your hair strands once you’re done with the bleaching process.
Why go with salon and not generic bleaches?
When we’re talking about “generic” brands of bleach, we sure mean the cheap products that you can find pretty much everywhere in any shop around the corner. These bleaches check only the low price box as they sure don’t make any professional happy with the results.
If you’re sitting on the fence about paying the extra buck or not for a salon bleach, here’s what you should consider about the generic bleaches:
- They are less effective when it comes to lightening the hair
- They’re made with low quality ingredients
- The lightening results may be uneven
This doesn’t mean that all generic bleaches are the same. It simply means that you should also get the info you need about the bleach. You shouldn’t worry about its bleaching abilities, but also about its risks for damaging your hair on the long run.
A salon bleach powder is made with high quality bleaching agents, but also with nourishing conditioners which explain the better appearance of your hair once you’re done with the whole process.
How to choose the bleach for your black hair?
If your money isn’t tight, you should get the salon bleach as its lightening effects are more efficient and with less damage to your hair. you want a bleach that also protects your hair, not only lightens the color of your hair. The better the formula, the better the chances for you to get impressive results, while maintaining intact the health of your hair. after all, your hair is at stake!
Top 15 Bleaches for Black Hair
1. If you’re the type of customer that like to get everything step by step, there’s no obvious reason for which you shouldn’t’ try the Sparks Powder Lightener.
You only get the powder lightener so you’re going to have to buy the developer. However, the powder bleaches the black hair just fine as it’s strong and effective. It mixes pretty well too.
The powder works fast and damages your hair only if you’re not paying attention. It doesn’t burn the scalp nor fries your hair. It’s quite a good value for the money altogether.
Let’s take a closer look at the good things:
- It’s strong and effective for black hair
- It works fast
- It doesn’t damage your hair or scalp
- It mixes well
It’s only obvious that we also have some comments to make about the negatives:
- It doesn’t come with a developer
- It may be too thin
Nevertheless, as it bleaches the black hair fast and easy, the powder is quite the bang for your buck.
2. Low priced and easy to use, the Quick Blue High Performance Powder Lightener Packette is a valid option that works simply nice on black hair.
From the subtle highlights, to the sheer platinum, the bleach is reliable to use any time. It has a non-drip thick consistency that doesn’t just keeps everything around you clean, but also stays in place for even and best results.
The bleach powder doesn’t dry out during the application and remains moist and creamy until the very end. You don’t need to remix it either during the process.
Powerful, the bleach may lift up to seven levels. Its texture provides accurate application for on and off scalp lightening techniques.
On top of everything, the formula comes in a tear-resistant packet that protects you from unpleasant incidents.
Let’s review the best parts once more:
- The bleach lifts up to 7 levels
- It remains moist and creamy during the application
- It doesn’t drip and has a dust-free formula
- You can use it for various bleaching jobs
We’re not backing down over some minor issues:
- It doesn’t come with a developer
- It may damage your hair if you’re not being careful
Regardless of the minor issues, for the consistency and great results, the bleach is a definite go any time.
3. The Jerome Russell Punky Bleach Kit 40 Volume is, more than anything else, a great surprise for the money and impresses the most with its performance.
You get a kit that ensures easy bleaching of even the blackest hair. As long as you’re following religiously the instructions, you shouldn’t have any difficulties getting the lightening results.
The bleach doesn’t sting and has a pleasant smell. Its creamy texture eases the application and the bleach leaves the hair lightened and softer. It doesn’t dry nor damages your hair.
Let’s highlight the most important qualities:
- The bleach doesn’t sting and has a nice smell
- It lightens the black hair
- It comes with easy to follow instructions
- It doesn’t damage the hair, but softens it
Don’t go changing your mind over some minor problems:
- Some may realize it’s not enough amount for their needs
- It may not give the expected results
As long as you play by the rules and don’t go far from the instructions, you should be able the lightening effects on your black hair nice and easy, every single time.
4. It’s no fun going shopping on a tight budget, but you don’t necessarily need to come back empty handed. Therefore, you can definitely have a good shot with the Splat Null, Lightening Bleach.
For a very good price, you get the bleach kit that includes not only the bleach and the oxide, but also a shampoo and a deep reconstructor. The kit comes with gloves and you should follow all the instructions that are included for best results.
The bleach is strong but doesn’t damage the hair, as long as you’re paying attention to the instructions.
Let’s highlight the main qualities:
- The kit includes everything you need
- The bleach is strong, but doesn’t damage the hair
- It gives nice results on black hair
- It’s good value for the money
Let’s balance the things with the downsides:
- It’s a tad messy
- It’s a bit difficult to pour the powder in the bottle
All in all, for a good price you get a reliable bleach that gives nice results even on black hair.
5. The dust-free formula of the Clairol Bw2 Powder Lightener is one good thing to begin with, but the bleach brings a lot more to the table.
The de-dusted powder is powerful and ensures maximum off the scalp lightening. It’s made with humectants that reduce the powder flyaway.
The bleach is safe to use even on virgin hair and gives nice results on black hair. It’s easy to use and lightens the black hair.
We sure like a lot the following qualities:
- It has a dust-free formula
- It’s easy to use
- It’s great for off the scalp lightening
- It works for virgin hair
Don’t let the minor issues change your mind:
- It dries a bit fast so you need to move quickly
- The smell is a tad strong
Regardless of the minor problems, the bleach still lightens the black hair and it’s a valid option any time.
6. for those of you who aren’t in only for the bleaching, but also for a nice blue, the Clairol Professional Kaleidocolors Lightener Hair Color is a great option to try.
The tonal powder acts just like a bleach and gives nice results on black hair. You need to follow the instructions to get the best results, though.
The bleach applies well and tones very nice. It leaves your hair softer and doesn’t damage it.
Here’s what we like about it:
- It applies very well
- It tones nice
- It leaves the hair soft
- It works on black hair
Don’t let the minor problems change your mind:
- The smell isn’t great
- Some find it tricky to mix it.
As long as you’re focusing on the goods, which are so many, you shouldn’t sit on the fence about whether you should get the bleach or not.
7. Strong enough to lighten the blackest hair, the Manic Panic Flash Lightning Hair Bleach Kit 40 Volume isn’t just easy to use, but also pretty affordable.
The kit includes everything you need for the bleaching process, from the bleach powder to the gloves and plastic cap. The instructions are clear and we recommend follow them accordingly for best results. It takes out any color pretty easy and the black hair gets pretty bright when you’re done with bleaching.
Let’s go over the best parts about it:
- It bleaches the black hair nice and easy
- It has a fast action
- The kit includes everything you need
- It comes with clear instructions
We’re not changing our mind over some minor issues:
- You need to deep condition your hair afterwards
- Your hair may become brittle after the bleaching
All in all, for a good price, you get a reliable bleaching kit that lightens the black hair.
8. Easy to use and including everything you need for bleaching your hair, the Radical Bleach Kit is a great solution for any beginner.
The kit includes both the lightening powder and the developer so you don’t need to stress out about looking for the right developer. The brush is easy to use and you can use it again.
The bleach works fast and easy and doesn’t damage your hair. It lightens the black hair and it’s reliable.
Listing the best parts about it:
- The kit includes the powder and the developer
- The brush is reusable and easy to use
- It gives nice results on black hair
- It works fast and easy
Don’t let the minor downsides change your mind:
- The brush is a tad rough
- It may not give even results, but this has to do a lot with the application
No matter how picky you are, if you’re a beginner this is the right bleach kit for you.
9. If you’re up for it and you’ve got the skills, don’t be afraid to put your money at stake with the Wella Color Charm Powder Lightener.
Made to help you for on and off the scalp application techniques, the bleach may lift you up to 7 levels. It lightens the black hair, without damaging it. It has a nice consistency and remains flat during the application. It doesn’t cause itchiness or pain and has a dust-free formula. It ensures dependable and controlled lightening, locking in moisture.
Let’s list the main good things about it:
- It lightens fast up to 7 levels
- It doesn’t damage the hair
- It has a dust-free formula
- It doesn’t cause pain or itchiness
We’re balancing the things with its inherent flaws:
- Some find it tricky to open the plastic container
- It may cause a slight burn
Having said that, for the efficiency and consistency, the bleach is worth the chance for lightening your black hair.
10. Lightening your black hair pretty fast, the L’Oréal Quick Blue Powder Bleach is a reliable option to try. It’s a dust-free blue powder bleach formula that is concentrated and effective.
The non-drip formula makes application a breeze and the powder ensures lightening actions that lifts up to 7 levels. It remains moist and creamy throughout the whole bleaching process, keeping everything around nice and clean. It has a pleasant smell.
The blue powder bleach is made for an easy on-scalp and off-scalp applications and doesn’t damage your hair. However, it’s better to use some coconut oil for deep conditioning your hair after bleaching.
Listing our favs:
- It lightens fast and has a nice smell
- It has a creamy and moist consistency
- It’s not messy
- It’s good for on-scalp and off-scalp application
The minor issues don’t worry us much:
- The blue hides the results
- Make sure you follow the instructions so that you don’t over process the hair
All in all, the blue powder bleach isn’t just effective, but also affordable and nice smelling, which makes it a sure buy anytime.
11. Great for creating ombre, highlights and for all over results, the L’Oréal Paris Colorista Bleach is for sure the option for anyone new in the business.
The bleach comes with goof-proof tools and may be the easiest bleach to use out there. Once you got the results, you may continue with the Colorista Semi-Permanent Color.
The conditioner smells amazing and the bleach lightens nice and easy the black hair. As for the price tag, the bleach isn’t the cheapest out there, but you should never go cheap with your bleach.
Here’s what we like a lot about this one:
- It’s highly customizable
- You can use it for highlights, ombre or all over bleaching
- It’s very easy to use
- It gives permanent results
Don’t forget to take a look at the minor downsides for completing the picture:
- It may not be safe to use on dyed hair
- Some find it challenging to squeeze it out of the recipient
Long story short, if you want an easy to use bleach that is great for various bleaching jobs, this one is going to give pretty awesome results anytime.
12. Powerful and made to give impressive results even on thick and coarse black hair, the Schwarzkopf Professional Blond Me Premium Lift 9 is one option you shouldn’t skip on when shopping.
The dust-free formula ensures a creamy consistency to the bleach, so not only the whole application goes easier, but it’s a lot cleaner. The bleach has a nice smell and doesn’t burn your scalp.
Due to its powerful formula, you’re not going to need many processes to get to the color you want for your black hair. The bleach doesn’t irritate the skin and stands out with its lightening performances.
Let’s highlight the main good things about it:
- The bleach lightens the thick and coarse black hair
- It doesn’t irritate the skin nor burns the scalp
- It has a pleasant smell
- It has a dust-free and creamy texture for easy and clean application
Don’t change your mind over some minor issues:
- It’s a bit pricey
- It’s strong so you’d better be sure about what exactly you’re doing
Far from being a high dollar product, but not a cheap one either, the bleach is, more than anything, reliable and effective without breaking the bad, which may seal the deal for many.
13. Spending the extra buck when bleaching your hair is worth it as the low quality bleach may damage your hair for quite some time, which definitely you don’t want it to happen. The Wella Blondor Multi Blonde Powder Lightener is made with high quality ingredients and it works, while being gentle with your hair.
You may use it for multiple clear blonde results and the Tri-Lightening complex within the formula is behind its high performance. It gives fast and even results and doesn’t damage your hair.
The dust-free formula makes the application a breeze and you get a fair amount for the money you’re paying.
Here’s what we like the most about it:
- It’s made with high quality results
- It’s powerful yet less damaging to the hair
- It’s a good amount for the price
- It offers several clear blonde results
Not very far from being perfect for the black hair, the bleach comes with a twist or two:
- You need to use a professional brand developer for best results. And that’s going to hurt your wallet
- Some didn’t notice an expiration date on the label
We want to end description on a positive note, so we’re pretty sure that the bleach is money well spent as it lightens your black hair and doesn’t damage it at the same time.
14. When you have black hair and no bleach has worked for you until now, you should definitely give it a go with the Schwarzkopf BlondMe Bond Enforcing Premium Lightener.
The bleach is able to lift up to 9 levels, so chances are you’re going to be able to lighten your black hair strands. The formula is also going to protect your hair fiber during that bleaching process, reducing the risk for hair breakage.
We also like the fact that the bleach is made with anti-yellow agents that are going to neutralize any warm undertones efficiently. It presents a pretty flexible mixing ratio, so it’s quite versatile too.
The consistency is rather creamy which eases the application, but also keeps everything nice and clean until the bleaching is done.
Thanks to its formula, the bleach works for all sorts of techniques and gives astonishing results. Its smell isn’t over powering, but rather sits on the pleasant side. You’re also going to find a scoop in the container which is so helpful when bleaching your hair.
The bleach works even on thick and coarse black hair and leaves a healthy feel on your hair.
Let’s go briefly over the main good things:
- The bleach ensures up to 9 levels of lift
- It protects the hair during the bleaching and reduces breakage
- It works for all sorts of techniques
- It lightens the thick, coarse and black hair
The minor downsides are far from being deal breakers:
- Some find it a bit challenging to rinse it off completely
- It may dry out a bit
Nevertheless, as it gives results for all kinds of techniques, without damaging your black hair, the bleach is a sure buy any given day.
15. Formulated for the professional use, the Clairol Professional Basic White Extra Strength Powder Lightener may also be used from the comfort of your home, as long as you know exactly what you’re doing.
Strong and able to lighten the black hair, the bleach powder is one valid option to try. You can also use it for other purposes, skull bleaching including.
Due to its size, the recipient is going to last you for quite some time, especially if you’re only using it for highlights.
Let’s list the main good things:
- It comes in a good size for the long time use
- It lightens the black hair
- You can use it for skull bleaching
- It’s strong
We do need to pinpoint some negatives:
- It may be too strong for some, so you need to pay attention when using it
- It’s not the cheapest bleach powder out there
We’re trying to end on a positive note, so make sure you give the powder a look when shopping.