Did you know that 70% of women are born with natural black hair? from the dark brown to brunettes, this hair color category stands out as one of the most common and popular hair color out there.
Getting a hair dye for this type of color isn’t going to be a problem as cosmetic industry is always creating better and prettier choices every single day.
Even the women who try blonde hair for a while are going to get back to their natural black hair, eventually. One of the best things about black hair is that it looks great on many skin tones, no matter if you’re white or not or anything in between.
Why go blue black?
If there’s one word to describe blue black, “edgy” is going to be, for sure, one of the most natural choices. Standing out as the darkest possible blue black, this interesting and bold color is for one that wants to stand out from the crowd. It’s a fashionable choice for anyone with a cool skin tone and light eyes. Put on some silver jewelry when you want to highlight the blue undertones and dare to add some gold earrings when you want to warm it up.
Is it difficult to get it?
Blue black is difficult to find as a natural color, but this doesn’t mean it doesn’t look good. Blue black is going to help you feel comfortable among all the brunettes out there, but with a little “blue” twist to it.
Another great thing about this color is that it’s also accepted in conservative societies and workplaces, so you don’t have to stress out about losing your job when going blue black.
If you only want some blue highlights, you should also get a deep blue black hair color as the base. You can also add some blue black highlights to your hair.
When you’re going for a black blue hair, it’s better to start with treating your hair before you color it. As for the all over look, you should choose according to your skin tone and style. A fair skin goes great with a purple blue, whereas a deeper cooler blue is going to look better on olive complexions. Short and cropped styles benefit the most the all over look.
TOP 15 Blue Black Hair Dyes for Dark Hair
1. The rich color and the low price of the SoftSheen-Carson Dark and Lovely Fade Resist Rich Conditioning Color, Midnight Blue 382 may be its winning points, but the dye is a lot more than that.
The hair dye comes with a formula that protects both natural and relaxed hair while coloring. It’s a non-drip formula that covers pretty well the grays.
The conditioner is formulated with 3 fruit oils (olive, shea and avocado), nourishing your hair.
Formulated for the women of color, the hair dye leaves your hair shiny and lustrous and with a nice blue black color. Chances are you’re not going to need to bleach either.
Summing it all up, here are the pros:
- Its formula is non-drip
- It gives a rich and pretty blue black color to your hair
- The conditioner nourishes the hair from root to tip
- You don’t need to bleach
The cons are no deal breakers:
- It has a chemical smell
- It could cover the grays a lot better
Dependable and great for a thin wallet, the hair dye is a solid choice for many.
2. Even if it may come as a surprise to you, you can still get a good blue black hair dye without paying the extra buck. It’s the case of Midnight Blue Black Permanent Crème Hair Color which isn’t just affordable, but also reliable and easy to use.
The hair dye gives a beautiful blue black color and many won’t even need to pre-bleach the hair. however, a pre-bleach is going to reveal the blue hues a lot better.
The hair dye gives permanent results and presents a low ammonia concentration. It’s also PPD free so the risk for damaging your hair is minor.
As for the conditioner, it’s formulated with argan oil and Pequi, managing to hydrate and soften your hair after coloring.
Let’s list our favorite parts:
- It leads to a beautiful blue black color on your hair
- It comes for a good price
- It conditions and hydrates your hair
- The risk for damaging your hair is minor
The cons aren’t major nor many:
- You may need to pre-bleach for better results
- You need a developer as well
No matter how you put it, as it’s both affordable and effective, you shouldn’t hesitate getting the hair dye next time when you’re in town running errands.
3. The popularity of Garnier Nutrisse Nourishing Hair Color Crème, 22 Intense Blue Black speaks volume and the hair dye gives permanent color.
Enriched with fruit oil concentrate, the hair dye goes deep into your hair, nourishing and conditioning it. The after color conditioner is formulated on olive, shea and avocado oils so it protects your hair, moisturizing it for a good amount of time.
The hair gets a nice blue black color which is pretty durable. The silky soft feel of your hair is a nice detail to mention too. The hair dye covers the grays and doesn’t have a strong smell.
We’re liking a lot the following:
- The hair dye gives nice and durable results
- It conditions and nourishes the hair
- It covers the grays
- It doesn’t have a strong smell
The downsides aren’t major:
- It may dry a bit
- Some expected the color to last even longer than that
All in all, for a good price, you get a nice blue black color for hair, without even damaging it.
4. One of the most popular choices out there, the L’Oréal Paris Superior Preference Permanent Hair Color, 1BL Deep Blue Black is an economic option that gives pretty results too.
The hair dye is made with Fade-Defying Color and Shine System. It doesn’t damage your hair and it’s very easy to use. The color is rich and the blue black is one of the best colors out there. It looks great and the hair dyes leaves your hair shiny and better looking. The new color is going to get you good for 6 weeks or so.
Let’s take a closer look at the good points:
- It gives a beautiful blue black
- The hair dye doesn’t damage your hair
- It’s easy to use
- The color is rich and the hair gets a nice radiance
Let’s balance the things with the negatives:
- There’s place for improving the gray coverage
- One may feel the hair dye dries the scalp
Affordable and leading to a beautiful blue black color on your hair, the hair dye is a great choice to try asap.
5. Giving a brilliant blue black color to your hair, the Adore Semi-Permanent Haircolor #130 Blue Black is a safe option to use on the black hair.
The hair dye is a semi-permanent hair color and gives a beautiful blue black color to your hair. its formula is gentle and doesn’t include any ammonia, alcohol or peroxide. It’s easy to apply an its results last even longer than expected. The hair dye is good value for the price.
Let’s go over the good things:
- It gives a brilliant blue black color to your hair
- The results last a good amount of time
- It’s easy to apply
- It doesn’t contain ammonia, peroxide or alcohol
The minor downsides shouldn’t leave you sitting on the fence:
- It has a slight touch of purple
- It’s a tad messy
Regardless of the minor problems, we still like the hair dye for its brilliant color and long lasting results.
6. When you’re trying to get a lovely midnight blue color hair, give it a try with the L’Oreal Paris Hair Color Feria Permanent Hair Color, 411 Downtown Denim.
You’re going to obtain a multi-faceted shimmering color that looks very pretty and never gets dull. The hair dye doesn’t wreck your hair and ensures brilliant and intense results.
The Power Shimmer Conditioner seals in the color and leaves your hair nice and smooth. The hair dye is easy to use and comes for a very good price too.
Let’s list our favorite parts about it:
- The hair dye gives multi-faceted shimmering color
- You get a pretty midnight blue
- It doesn’t break or damage your hair
- The hair gets soft and shiny
The list of cons is really short:
- It washes out a bit fast
- Some expected even darker results
All things considered, the hair dye leads to a pleasant and cool midnight blue color on your hair and you should take a leap of faith with it.
7. Not only Revlon Luxurious Colorsilk Buttercream, Blue Black gives your hair a nice blue black color, but it also leaves it silky and softer than before.
The ammonia-free formula is made with triple butter complex and argan oil, hydrating and nourishing your hair. The formula includes 3 butters: coconut, shea and mango.
The color is rich and the hair remains so soft. The risk for breakage is minor and the conditioning treatment hydrates your hair very well.
Let’s list our favs:
- The formula is ammonia-free
- The color is rich
- The formula includes 3 butters
- The risk for breakage of hair is minor
Let’s not forget about the minor cons:
- One may feel the consistency is a tad runny
- The color isn’t as intense as one may expect
No matter how you put it, for the rich color and nourishing conditioning treatment, the hair dye is worth the chance to show you its performance.
8. If you’re going for non-permanent blue black color on your black hair, don’t hesitate to try the Clairol Natural Instincts Crema Keratina Hair Color Kit, Blue Black 2BB Blueberry Crème.
The hair dye is made with keratin, which means it’s going to reduce the damage of your hair during coloring. It gives a healthy appearance to your hair, not only a nice blue black color.
The formula is ammonia-free and the conditioner is made with coconut oil, leaving your hair moisturized and silky soft.
The hair dye works fast and one box is plenty enough for a shoulder-length hair. it has no smell and it’s specially formulated for dark hair.
Let’s take a closer look at the best parts:
- The hair dye is non-permanent
- It gives a nice blue black color
- It’s specially formulated for dark hair
- It’s made with keratin so it doesn’t harm your hair
We’re not backing down over some minor issues:
- Some think it’s darker than expected
- One may think it’s a bit drippy
All in all, as it gives a nice blue black color to your black hair without damaging it, you should write its name down on your shopping list.
9. Part of a collection of vibrant and fashion-forward shades, the Vidal Sassoon London Luxe 1bb Midnight Muse Blue is a good choice to keep in mind.
The hair dye leads to a vibrant color that is both bold and salon looking. The formula is made with just the right combination of pigments and gives a semi-permanent hair color.
The HydraBlock Color Preserving Conditioner doesn’t allow water to fade out the color so that the hair color stays on for longer time.
The hair dye smells nice and covers pretty well the grays.
Here’s what we like the most about it:
- The color is vibrant and semi-permanent
- The hair dye covers the grays
- It smells nice
- The color is rich and looks great in sunlight
We’re not utterly amazed by the downsides:
- If you’re bleaching the hair, the hair color is going to look great indoor as well
- It may dye your scalp too
Nevertheless, as it’s easy to use and leads to vibrant and rich blue black hair color, the hair dye stands as a valid option for black hair anytime.
10. Going deep into your hair strands for deep coloring saturation, the John Frieda Precision Foam Colour, Blue Black 2A is going to provide full coverage, with minor risk for patchiness.
The hair dye has a non-drip foam texture that is very easy to spread into your roots. Getting in the difficult to reach areas isn’t challenging either, and you may get flawless results.
Easy to use thanks to its foam consistency, the hair dye isn’t messy at all. The after-color conditioner nourishes the color and seals it in. the color doesn’t go away fast and covers the grays quite well.
The smell isn’t strong and the hair dye leaves the hair shiny and healthy.
Let’s take a closer look at the good parts:
- It goes deep into the strands
- It provides even results
- It doesn’t smell very strong
- The blue black color doesn’t fade fast
The minor issues don’t make us change our mind:
- One may feel the color is darker than expected
- Even though it’s easy to do it, it may take you 30 minutes or so to be done with it.
All in all, for the salon quality, even results and pretty blue black color, the hair dye is a sure buy any given day.
11. The long lasting results of the Bigen Permanent Powder Hair Color 88 Blue Black may be its best quality, but the hair dye sure brings a lot more to the table.
The hair dye is very easy to use and not as messy as other similar hair dyes. The color is great and the hair dye doesn’t damage your hair. By contrary, your hair becomes shiny and silky soft.
Unlike other hair dyes, this one does a pretty job for covering your grays too. It’s gentle on your hair and leads to a nice blue black color on your hair.
Let’s highlight the most important qualities:
- The hair dye gives durable results
- It doesn’t damage your hair
- It’s easy to use
- It covers the grays pretty well
Don’t let the inherent flaws change your mind:
- One may think it’s a better choice for touch up
- Not everyone goes for its smell
Having said that, the hair dye gives results that last for a good amount of time and doesn’t damage your hair, which may seal the deal for many.
12. The bold and brilliant color of Joico Color Intensity Semi-Permanent Crème Hair Color is going to make an incredible impression on anyone. The color is intense and is going to last through 15 shampoos or so.
The intermixable formula is easy to use and to apply right from the tube. However, you can get as creative as you want and mix it with other colors.
You don’t need a developer for the hair dye and you can get all sorts of semi-permanent shades. The hair dye doesn’t damage your hair and has quite a pleasant smell.
Let’s take a closer look at the good things:
- The color is vibrant and bold
- You can use it right from the tube
- You don’t need a developer for it
- You may combine several colors for unique results
Far from being deal breakers, the downsides are helpful for completing the picture:
- you should use a bleach for better results
- it has some glitter in it, which some may not like
The good outweighs the bad and you should definitely take the plunge and put your trust and faith in this one for a bolder look.
13. For those of you who want blue black hair, but don’t want to pay the price of chemical ingredients, the Henna Maiden PURE INDIGO BLUE BLACK Hair Color: 100% Natural & Chemical Free is just the right choice.
Henna is 100% natural and chemical free as it’s made with organic ingredients. The color is going to last 4-8 weeks, but you may re-apply as often as you need.
Easy to use, you only need to add some water, mix and apply. The application isn’t messy and the smell is herbal, so it’s quite pleasant.
Additionally, henna is going to coat the hair shaft for a healthier and natural look, especially in the sunlight. It smooths the split ends and protects your hair, sustaining a healthy hair growth. Henna doesn’t burn and doesn’t contain any peroxide, metal salts or harsh chemicals.
Let’s highlight the best parts about it:
- It gives your hair a nice shine, body and makes it easier to manage
- It’s made with organic ingredients
- It’s very easy to use and not messy at all
- It protects your hair from damage and sustains a healthy hair growth
The minor problems are going to give you the whole picture:
- The gloves and shower cap could be better
- You may need to get some tips if you’re a beginner
At the expense of sounding like an old record, henna is going to make happy so many, but you should get informed about it prior application.
14. Ensuring 100% gray coverage, the Nice’n Easy [2BB/124] Natural Blue Black Permanent Hair Color isn’t just going to lead to a beautiful natural-looking color, but it’s also a good bargain.
The hair dye is very easy to use and the kit includes everything you need, including the conditioner and the gloves. The color is great and doesn’t fade that quickly, lasting up to 8 weeks.
Due to its formula, the hair gets softer and shinier, with a nice soft touch feel and healthier appearance.
What we like the most:
- It gives natural-looking color
- It covers 100% grays
- It leaves the hair shiny and soft
- The results last up to 8 weeks
Don’t let the minor issues change your mind:
- The smell isn’t great
- Some find it tricky to squeeze the tube
All in all, the hair dye is a reliable option and you do get a pretty good deal with this pack of three.
15. If you’re sure about going blue black on your color, there’s no reason for which you shouldn’t go with a pack of 3 of hair dyes. The 3 Pk, L’Oreal Paris Healthy Look Crème Gloss, Blue Black is just the right choice for that as it gives a glossy blue black color that looks so very nice for a good amount of time.
The hair dye doesn’t contain ammonia so the risk for damaging your hair is pretty minor. Easy to use, the hair dye covers the grays pretty well.
The built-in deep conditioners leave your hair softer and smoother, blending efficiently the grays. The blue black is subtle and has an attractive glow to it.
Let’s go over the good things once again:
- It doesn’t contain ammonia
- The glossy blue black color has a healthy feel to it
- It leaves the hair softer and smoother
- It’s easy to use and covers the gray
Don’t stress over some minor cons:
- It may stain your towels
- The color doesn’t last as long as you’d wish
Even if the hair dye isn’t all roses and rainbows, you should still try it on your black hair.