Whether you’re an aspiring barber or you’re a professional barber, using the right clippers can make a difference between a good haircut and a failed one.
The right hair clipper is going to give you good control and ability to work on the details as it comes with several combs. Last thing you want is to end up with a hair clipper that pulls and even hurts your scalp.
What to look for when buying?
A good clipper should be powerful and most of the corded ones are, as opposed to the cordless models. The corded clippers get more power so the motor is going to work nice and steady, with lower risk for pulling or hiccups.
You also want a clipper that comes with separate hair comb guides. Even if your brand new all-in-one clipper may seem like a great miracle in the beginning, the risk for the hair comb guides to be flimsy and work poor are quite high.
The proper care
Once you got yourself a good pair of clippers, you want to expand their lifespan as much as you can. Oiling the blades before the shave, cleaning the clippers and properly take care of them is going to make them more durable.
Many clippers come with cleaning brushes and blade oil and you should definitely use them. Use some cooling gel or a blade cooling solution that is going to protect the clippers overheat during the use on high speed.
It may be your wallet that has the final word, but this doesn’t mean you shouldn’t get all the info you need when shopping!
Reviews of the Top 15 Clippers for Black Hair
1. Even if the low price may be the first thing that gets your attention when shopping, the Old Spice Hair Clippers, powered by Braun, Washable with 8-Setting Adjustable Comb for Precision Trimming is a lot more than just an affordable clipper.
The clipper may be used corded or cordless, and that’s a great thing for versatility. It comes with adjustable comb with 8 settings, you may trim hairstyles up to 0.94in. The clipper is fully washable and very easy to clean.
The stainless steel blades are sharp and the clipper doesn’t go as loud as you may think. It cuts even the thickest black hair and are very easy to adjust.
Our favorite parts about the clippers would be:
- It comes with adjustable comb
- You can use it corded or cordless
- It’s easy to clean it as it’s fully washable
- It’s not very loud
We’re not worried about the minor issues:
- it may get hot
- You need to remove the hair quite often during trimming
Far from being a lemon, the clipper isn’t just adjustable or dependable, but also a great bang for your buck.
2. When it comes to the Wahl Color Pro Complete Hair Cutting Kit it’s not only the low price that seals the deal for many, but also its overall quality, considering the low price.
The clipper comes with color guide combs so it’s practically impossible to forget what to use and when to use it. The color coded keys are great to link the right comb to the right setting. The blades are made of high-carbon steel and self-sharpening.
The grip is comfortable and the clipper is easy to control. The thumb-adjustable taper control lets you try various cutting lengths. The power cord is long and the clippers aren’t that loud.
Here’s what we like the most about them:
- The come with color guide combs
- It’s easy to snap on/take off the guide attachments
- The clipper is easy to use
- It comes with self-sharpening blades
The cons aren’t deal breakers:
- The combs are made of plastic
- The clipper may not pass the durability test
All in all, for a good price, you get easy to use, dependable and adjustable clippes that works great on black hair.
3. Featuring some of the finest self-sharpening precision blades, the Wahl Clipper Chrome Pro Hair Clipper is a valid choice for black hair any given day.
The clipper is made in our USA and it’s a solid choice even for total body grooming. Some even use it for their dogs.
The dura-chrome finish looks nice the clipper comes with taper control for adjusting the length much easier. The self-sharpening high-carbon steel blades stay sharp for a long time and the grip is sturdy and comfy.
The clipper comes with 10 adjustable guide combs. Adjusting the comb is easy as the clipper features a sliding thumb-operated switch.
We do like a lot the following qualities:
- The clipper comes with 10 adjustable guide combs
- It has a nice and durable chrome finish
- It’s well made and long lasting
- The grip is sturdy and comfortable
The inherent flaws shouldn’t stress you out:
- It sits a bit on a heavy side
- The plastic attachments have the same color
As long as you’re focusing on the goods, which are so many, you shouldn’t back down from getting the clippers.
4. When you’re looking for a complete kit for home trimming and cutting, the Wahl Deluxe Chrome Pro, Complete Hair and Beard Clipping and Trimming Kit is an option to keep in mind.
The kit includes good quality clipper and guide combs, but also styling shear, cordless touch-up trimmers and accessories.
The clipper has a durable build and comes with self-sharpening precision blades. The motor is one heavy-duty model and the taper level is adjustable. You get a complete set of guide combs. The clipper is strong, but runs quiet.
Let’s list our favs about it:
- It comes with heavy-duty motor
- The blades are self-sharpening
- You get a complete set of guide combs
- The clipper is strong, but runs quiet
We’re not concern about the minor downsides:
- The guards are a tad flimsy
- It may not be the best choice for long and thick hair
However, as it’s durable and strong, you should go ahead and try the clipper on your black hair.
5. Lightweight and easy to use, the Philips Norelco HC7452/41 7100 Hair Clipper is a valid when styling the black hair.
The clipper presents Li-Io cordless power and it’s made with DualCut Technology so it cuts very fast. It comes with double-sharpened cutting element with lower risk for friction. The comb is easy to adjust and you can use 23 length settings. You may even use the clipper without the comb.
The titanium blades are self-sharpening and fully washable. You can also use the clipper corded and the battery light indicator is a helpful detail.
What we like a lot about the clipper:
- It comes with adjustable comb
- You can use it corded or cordless
- It’s lightweight and runs quiet
- It has 23 length settings
The minor flaws aren’t deal breakers:
- The guard is a tad bulky
- It’s not very powerful
Regardless of the minor downsides, the clipper still stands as a good option for working on your black hair.
6. Balancing just fine the balance between strong motor and good price, the Wahl Clipper Elite Pro High Performance Haircut Kit is one affordable choice you shouldn’t skip on, especially when shopping on a tight budget.
The clipper has a strong and long lasting motor and precision self-sharpening blades. The Secure-Fit guide combs present stainless steel attachment clips so the clipper checks the adjustability box as well.
It’s a corded clipper that ensures easy and smooth hair cutting every time. It’s made with premium grade material and its combs stay in place. It has a heavy feel to it, making it as a great option for a large hand. It’s easy to use and cuts perfectly, without snagging.
Here are the best parts about it:
- It comes with powerful and durable motor
- It has precision self-sharpening blades
- The taper level is adjustable
- It has a good weight and it’s easy to use
Don’t let the minor issues change your mind in any way:
- The cape could use a better design
- The brush doesn’t clean very well
Having said that, for the money you’re paying, you get a dependable, strong and adjustable clipper that brings a lot to the table.
7. If you’re looking for a cordless clipper for your black hair, you can take a leap of faith with Remington HC4250 Shortcut Pro Self-Haircut Kit.
The clipper has a great palm design so it’s easy to get in the back of your head, neckline and even around the years. The stainless steel blades cut the thickest hair and the risk for pulling or snagging is minor. The blades are extra-wide and curved, taking the shape of your head for better clipping. The kit includes 9 length combs and the clipper is easy to use and to clean.
The lithium rechargeable battery holds its charge and you can also use the clipper corded. The clipper comes with rubberized grip for increased control and comfortable use.
Our favs would be:
- The clipper comes with 9 length combs
- You may use it corded or cordless
- The grip is comfy and sturdy
- The blades are extra wide and curved
The cons are far from being major:
- It doesn’t come with side trimmers
- There’s no dial for setting the combs
Nevertheless, as it’s versatile and reliable, you should definitely give the clipper a try.
8. Powerful yet running so quiet, the OSTER Fast Feed Adjustable Pivot Motor Clipper 76023-510 comes with a pivot motor and adjustable steel blades.
The clipper cuts through all hair types, wet and dry alike. It has an ergonomic design and it’s great for all day cutting. Its textured housing ensures steady and easy grip and you may use one of the 4 guide combs for your styling. The 8ft. power cord gives plenty of freedom of movement and the clipper is made to take the use for a very long time.
We’ve shorted our pros to the following:
- The clipper comes with powerful and quiet pivot motor
- The cord is 8 ft. long
- The clipper comes with 4 guide combs
- The grip is good and the build is durable
We’re pretty sure that the inherent flaws aren’t deal breakers:
- Some expected the blades to be sharper
- It doesn’t come with many accessories
Getting our ducks in a row, we’re definitely stay by the clipper and hands down for Oster for creating such a powerful, durable and quiet hair clipper.
9. Amazingly versatile, the ANDIS Professional Barber Combo Adjustable Clipper with Trimmer CL-6632 is made to handle all sorts of hair-related jobs. You can use it for dry shaving, fading, outlining and even for trimming. It cuts both wet and dry hair and fits comfortably in any hand.
The motor runs quiet and it’s pretty strong. The clipper comes with adjustable lever. The housing looks sleek and the clipper is rather lightweight. However, the clipper has a good build and takes the intense use for quite some time. Its design is well thought out and the clipper makes a nice first impression as well.
Our favs about it are listed down below:
- The clipper is made for heavy-duty use
- It’s reliable for all-around styling, dry shaving including
- The motor runs nice and smooth
- The lever is adjustable
We’re not utterly amazed by the minor issues:
- It gets hot faster than expected
- The attachments are made of plastic
The sleek design, the dependable performance for all-around styling and the affordable price turn the clipper into an option very difficult to resist to whenever in need for a better black hair styling tool.
10. The classic appearance may be the first thing to catch your eye when it comes to Andis Master 15-Watt Adjustable Blade Hair Clipper, but the clipper is far more than meets the eye.
The clipper comes with a magnetic motor and it’s a perfect option for fading and all-around outlining. Its aluminum housing is lightweight and unbreakable, whereas the motor is both strong and quiet when running.
The single lever adjusts various clipper blades, whereas the thumb controlled side switch eases the use.
Here is what we appreciate the most about the clipper:
- It comes with strong and quiet magnetic motor
- It has a lightweight, attractive and unbreakable aluminum housing
- It’s great for tapering and blending
- It has single level blade that adjusts from 000 to 1
The inherent flaws are no reason to back down:
- It doesn’t come with comb or hair guides
- It’s not the cheapest clipper
The good outweighs the bad and you should get the clipper for the intense and long time use.
11. The 180 degree rotating head of the Philips Norelco QC5580/40 Do-It-Yourself Hair Clipper Pro is going to help you reach a lot easier even the most challenging spots, but the clipper presents other qualities as well.
It comes with 14 built-in length settings and a strong Li-Io battery that holds its charge. The clipper features self-sharpening and entirely washable blades. You can also use it for shaving your head.
The list of good things continues with the locking feature that reduces the comb movement and the skin-friendly rounded comb and trimmer.
Let’s go over our favorite parts once again:
- The clipper comes with 180-degree rotating head
- You can also use it for close cutting and shaving
- It has a locking feature that reduces the comb movement
- It’s easy to use and runs smooth
There’s always place for improvement:
- The replacement parts are a tad pricey
- Not everyone is impressed with its performance
As long as you’re willing to spend the extra buck, you’re not going to be disappointed with the clipper for so many hair-related jobs.
12. The classic and everlasting appearance of the OSTER Classic 76 Universal Motor Clipper may be the first thing that strikes one, but the clipper is far more than just a pretty “face”.
The clipper comes with a strong and single speed universal motor that is built for the long time use. It features detachable blades and a durable and unbreakable housing.
The cord is 9ft. long and the clipper sustains consistent cutting and runs quiet. It cuts easily through both wet and dry hair and its textured housing ensures a steady grip.
Let’s highlight our favs about it:
- The clipper comes with strong and quiet motor
- It has a durable build
- It ensures consistent cutting
- It has a good grip and looks great
Let’s complete the picture with our cons:
- It may be a bit too much for a beginner
- It gets hot when you’re not oiling the blades before the usage
Even if the clipper isn’t all roses and rainbows, you should still take the plunge and put your money at stake with the classic Oster 76.
13. The solid build and the reliability of the Panasonic ER1611 Professional Cordless Hair Clipper are only the first things to mention about the clipper.
The high precision blades continue the list and they’re sharpened with 45 edge. The new X taper blade shape lets you try larger cutting surface area, giving you speed when cutting. The clipper is dual voltage and you may use it corded and cordless too. It’s strong and has a good weight to it. It has a good build and a durability feel to it.
Here are its best qualities:
- The build is solid and durable
- It runs powerful
- The blades are sharp and precise
- The cutting surface area is larger
Don’t make a drama out of some minor downsides:
- It runs a bit louder
- It doesn’t come with a protector guard for the blade when not in use
Focus on the goods, as they’re many and don’t hesitate to write down the clipper on your shopping list.
14. Designed for the professional use, but easy to use even from the comfort of your home, the Wahl Professional Sterling Li Pro Clipper #8546 is anytime a good investment of your money.
The design is ergonomic and the one-piece housing ensures comfortable use for a long time. The clipper is quiet and lightweight and its motor is chip controlled. The cutting power is consistent, no matter your hair type or the battery charge.
The clipper comes with plenty of accessories and a Li-Io battery that holds its charge for 75 minutes of run time. Its design is sleek and modern and the clipper doesn’t pull or pinch.
Here’s what we like about it:
- It has a modern, ergonomic and sleek design
- It comes with rotary motor and Li-Io battery
- It runs smooth and quiet
- It’s lightweight and doesn’t pull
Don’t let some minor flaws stand in your way when making the decision:
- It’s a bit larger than expected
- One may expect even greater power
For the sleek and modern design, but also for its reliable performance, you should put your money at stake with the clipper.
15. At the expense of sounding like an old record, the more you’re willing to pay, the more you can expect in terms of performance and build for your black hair clipper. The New MOSER LI+PRO 1884 Professional Hair Clipper Cord / Cordless perfectly fits the description as it’s both a tad pricey and highly performant.
The clipper comes with high-quality professional stainless steel blades that stay sharp and build-in cutting length adjustment from 0.7 to 3mm. The clipper presents a closed backside for the blade set, which makes hair guidance and use a lot easier. The blade set is easy to change and the clipper runs quiet and strong.
You may use the clipper corded or cordless and the Li-Io batteries are long lasting. The indicator light for blade oiling is a useful detail, but so is the multi-level battery capacity display.
The very short list of pros looks like this:
- The clipper has stainless steel blades that stay sharp
- It runs quiet and strong
- You can use it corded or cordless
- It has a well thought out design
The cons aren’t major:
- The price tag is a pet peeve for many
- The risk for pulling isn’t null
Powerful, yet running quiet and staying sharp for a long time, the clipper is money well spent any given day.