Truth be told, if you’re shopping for a flat iron for the very first time, chances are that you’re going to become overwhelmed from all of those models, options and prices. It’s only a matter of time until you get frustrated and feel lost while cruising for a flat iron.
Buying Guide for Flat Irons for Natural Hair
What to look for in a flat iron?
There are many things that count when selecting a flat iron, but 5 of them are fundamental, easing the whole styling session. No matter how pricey your flat iron is, here are the most important features to look for:
- 100% ceramic surface
The safest option for your natural hair is 100% ceramic or solid ceramic infused with titanium or tourmaline. Nano-ceramic is also used a lot nowadays, but it doesn’t have the same performances as ceramic (it doesn’t heat evenly nor last for an eternity like ceramic).
- Tourmaline/titanium-infused design
If you’re not going to find a solid ceramic flat iron, one that comes with tourmaline/titanium design is also going to work for your natural hair. tourmaline is a semi-precious stone, whereas titanium is a lightweight and tough material, but they’re both highly effective for straightening the stubbornest hair, eliminating frizz on the side.
- Small plates
Most of flat irons out there come with plates that are 1” or 1.5”. Even if it sounds quite tempting, a larger plate is going to increase the risk for accidentally over-iron and damage your strands. In addition, they’re not easy to work on the roots.
- Adjustable temperature control
This is one mandatory feature to have on your natural black hair. if you’re shopping on a thin wallet, chances are you’re not going to find a low-end flat iron with adjustable heat temperature. A flat iron that comes with this feature is going to allow you to use the right temp for your natural hair, reducing the risk for damaging, especially when you’re using it on a regular basis.
- Automatic shutoff feature
When you’re always on the run and hurry up to do 1 million things at a time, you may forget to turn off your flat iron. even if you’re not going to burn the house down from leaving it on, it’s still some risk that you don’t want to take. A flat iron that comes with this specific feature is going to automatically turn off after not in use for a specific amount of time.
One last tip before you go shopping
A flat iron that comes with swivel cord is going to allow you plenty of freedom while styling, with no risk for tangling or strain for your arms, whereas a flat iron that heats up fast is always something you want to have. At the end of the day, you should do due diligence and figure out what counts the most for you when buying and take a look at your wallet as well.
TOP 10 Flat Irons for Natural Hair
1. When you’re going shopping on a tight budget, selecting a good flat iron for your natural hair is anything but easy. However, the market still provides plenty of dependable options and one of them is definitely the Revlon Ceramic Flat Iron for Ultra Straight Hair.
The flat iron heats up to 400F degrees and doesn’t need that much time to get there. It has ceramic-coated plates that are going to straighten your strands while protecting them. They heat up evenly and leave your hair sleek and smooth.
The 1” plates are easy to use to the roots for a uniform and perfect finish. The silicone finger grips provide a steady grip, easing the styling process. The grip is both sturdy and comfortable.
On top of everything else, you may use it for all sorts of styles. Its small size allows you to pack it when travelling.
The “On” indicator light is going to help you use it safely every time and the flat iron is a good option, especially considering its incredibly low price.
Let’s have a quick look at the pros:
- It gets up to 400F degrees
- It features ceramic-coated plates
- It styles your hair without damaging it
- It has silicone finger grips for easier use
The cons aren’t major:
- There’s a plastic smell in the beginning
- It only has 2 heat settings
Nevertheless, for the buck you’re paying, the flat iron is going to be able to straighten your natural hair, leaving it shiny and smooth most of the time.
2. Even if the price may be the most attractive part for many out there, the Remington 1” Flat Iron with Anti-Static Technology and Digital Controls is also capable to deliver good performance, managing to become a valid option for anyone shopping on a thin wallet.
Made with Anti-Static technology, the flat iron comes with 1” ceramic plates so it’s going to heat up evenly and straighten your hair with low risk for damaging. It eliminates the flyways and leaves your hair silky smooth too.
The plates present titanium protection coating so you’re not going to wait for a long time for it to get hot. The maximum 410F degrees should satisfy one with natural hair, whereas the digital controls allow better and easier use too. Thanks to its LCD screen and digital controls, selecting the perfect temp for your natural strand isn’t going to be difficult at all. On the side note, the flat iron includes 6 heat settings (310 to 410 F degrees).
No worries on your safety as the flat iron comes also with automatic shut off in 60 minutes so you may leave it once you’re done styling your curls. The swivel cord adds up on the list of good features and completes the image of an affordable, reliable, safe and adjustable flat iron that doesn’t break the bank at all.
Let’s have another look at the good things:
- It has 1” ceramic plates with titanium protection coating
- It has a swivel cord and automatic shut off feature
- It heats up fast and has adjustable temp settings
- It’s easy to use and low-prices
Even if the problems are minor, we still owe it to you to list them:
- Some noted an unpleasant smell of melted plastic in the beginning
- It may pull at times
Regardless of the inherent flaws, the flat iron manages to come with the most important features for styling natural hair and has an amazing price too. Why not give it a go?
3. Even if the Infinitipro By Conair Tourmaline Ceramic Flat Iron comes with tourmaline ceramic plates, they’re 1” wide and style your natural hair just fine, with minimal risk for damaging or snagging.
As a matter of fact, the flat iron is going to leave your hair shiny and smooth as the floating plates have good contact with hair and eliminate both frizz and flyaways, protecting the hair from heat damage.
The flat iron only needs 15 seconds to heat up and provides even heat, keeping it that way throughout the styling session. It gets up to 455F degrees and you can choose from 30 heat settings.
The auto-shut off is going to ensure the safety while using, whereas the adjustability of heat settings is going to protect your natural hair. The long floating plates lets you curl, twist or straighten your natural hair in no time and the Tourmaline Ceramic technology ensures anti-static performance every time. The flat iron emits negative ions, lowering the risk for frizz and making your hair look all shiny and smooth.
Lightweight, easy to use and effective even on stubborn and thick natural hair, the flat iron is a reliable choice and quite a bang for your buck too.
Let’s check the pros briefly:
- It comes with tourmaline ceramic floating plates
- It heats up fast and comes with adjustable temperature settings
- It’s lightweight and easy to use
- It works even on thick and stubborn natural hair
The downsides aren’t major:
- Some think that the handle is a tad small
- Not everyone trusts its durability
Beggars cannot be choosers and, for the buck you’re paying, you’re actually getting a reliable flat iron that straightens your natural strands, leaving it silky smooth and frizz-free.
4. Don’t let the affordable price of Remington S9500PP Pearl Pro Ceramic Flat Iron mislead you as the flat iron is quite a surprise for the money.
The flat iron comes with 1” floating plates which are going to slide nice and easy over your strands, leaving them silky smooth. The flat iron features Pearl Ceramic Technology which is going to ensure a nice smooth finish for your straightening, without damaging your hair.
The maximum heat is 450F degrees and the flat iron only needs 30 seconds to get there. It also comes with digital display and controls for heat settings so that you may find the right temp for your strands. The swivel cord is going to allow easy and strain-free use, whereas the temperature lock is going to ease the use. The auto shut off is helpful for the safety while using the flat iron and the heat styling tool provides reliable performance, despite its price.
Here’s the list of pros:
- It’s made with Pearl Ceramic Technology
- The 1” floating plates leave the hair silky smooth without damaging it
- It includes user-friendly digital display and controls
- It has auto shut off and temperature lock features
The cons are anything but major:
- It doesn’t have a durability feel to it
- Some doubt its durability
Even if the flat iron comes with some inherent flaws, for its reliable performance, impressive list of features and attractive price, it’s still an option to keep in mind when shopping.
Due to its popularity, you may very well take a stab in the dark with the HSI Professional Glider | Ceramic Tourmaline Ionic Flat Iron Hair Straightener as it’s not going to be a lemon, no matter what.
The flat iron impresses with its features and performance. It comes with high quality ceramic plates that have micro sensors. Briefly put, you’re not going to need to pass more than once with the flat iron and you’re not going to worry about the heat damage on your hair either.
5. The plates are tourmaline crystal ion and ceramic, which explains the silky finish when you’re done. They’re 1” wide which is the right width for most types of hair and lengths too. You may use it even for your bangs, not only for straightening the long strands. The curved edges are great for setting the right angle while styling, lowering the risk for snagging.
The adjustability of the temperature is a fundamental feature and this one offers you heat settings ranging from 140 to 450F degrees. Dialing the right temp isn’t tricky and most find the risk for accidental dialing really low.
The ergonomic design ensures comfortable and strain-free use. The grip is sturdy and the flat iron comes with a 7ft. swivel cord that eases up the maneuvering of the tool.
The flat iron comes with dual voltage so travelling abroad with it isn’t going to be a problem. The storage pouch solves the storage problem when you’re done with it.
No worries about burning your fingers while straightening your hair either. This one comes with a glove so that you protect your hair throughout the styling process.
Let’s sum it all up for the big pros:
- It comes with adjustable temperature settings
- It straightens but doesn’t damage your hair
- It comes with dual voltage
- It includes storage pouch and protective glove
We’re not worry about the inherent flaws:
- Some think that the temperature dial could be placed better
- The handle may get hot
All in all, as it’s protective, reliable, adjustable, versatile and easy to use, the flat iron deserves a try whenever you’re looking for a heat styling tool that delivers without even emptying your pockets.
6. If HSI doesn’t ring your bell, but you still want to get a reliable flat iron for the same amount of money, take a leap of faith with the KIPOZI Professional Flat Iron with 1 Inch Titanium Ion plates.
The flat iron is a titanium tool and the far-infrared technology and PTC ceramic heater explain the silky smooth results. The flat iron is going to release negative ions that moisten your hair which translates into sleek and shiny hair. The 3D floating plates are 1” wide and they’re not going to pull the hair, no matter its length.
The temperature is adjustable therefore the flat iron checks another important feature on our list. The LCD digital display is user-friendly and the tool only needs 15 seconds to get to 380F degrees. The minimal temperature is 170F degrees, and the maximum is 450F degrees.
As it comes with auto shut off, the flat iron is going to turn off in its own after 90 minutes when not in use. It also features a safety lock so that it’s safe to use and easy to store once you’re done with it.
The 8ft. swivel cord allows easy handling, whereas the dual voltage solves the voltage problem when travelling abroad.
Reliable and affordable, the flat iron is one option not to skip on when buying.
Let’s see what we like the most about it:
- It comes with far-infrared technology and PTC ceramic plates
- It straightens the hair leaving it nice and silky
- It has auto shut off and swivel cord
- It’s easy to use and has adjustable temperature
The cons are no reason for one to back down:
- The end gets hot a bit more than expected
- Some expected the plates to glide even smoother
Having said that, for the reliable performance, list of features and competitive price, the flat iron is one option that is going to make so many customers with natural hair pretty happy about their buy.
7. When you’re not looking only for a flat iron that straightens, but it’s also reliable for flipping, curling or waving your natural strands, the CHI Original 1″ Flat Hair Straightening Ceramic Hairstyling Iron is a sure buy.
The flat iron only needs a couple of seconds to get to the maximum 400F degrees, whereas the far infrared plates are going to give your hair that silky smooth, no static whatsoever, that you were looking for.
The flat iron has an ergonomic design and the grip is both comfortable and sturdy, which means less tiredness for your arms at the end of your styling session. In addition, the risk for accidental pressing of the on/off switch is minor.
The ceramic plates don’t damage your hair, whereas the flash quick heating light lets you know when it’s ready to go. Even if it’s not coming with adjustable temperature settings, the flat iron still stands as a dependable choice for many.
The 11ft. swivel cord gives you plenty of freedom for movement throughout styling, reducing the effort for your arms. The flat iron comes with dual voltage so you can always bring it along when travelling.
Here’s what we appreciate the most about it:
- It comes with infrared 1” ceramic plates
- It has a smart and ergonomic design
- Its power cord is 11ft swivel type
- It comes with dual voltage
The cons are minor:
- It doesn’t have adjustable temperature
- It gets really hot so you need to be very careful when using it
Having said that, as it provides protective and reliable performance, the flat iron is going to be a good option for many and a wise investment on the long run.
8. The more you’re willing to pay for your flat iron, the more you’re expecting in terms of features and performance. Even if the Ghd Classic Styler isn’t the most perfect tool out there (but no flat iron does, anyway), it’s coming really close to becoming the ideal choice for many customers.
The flat iron comes with smooth contoured ceramic heat plates that aren’t going to scorch nor snag your hair. It comes with round barrel so you’re going to be able to use it for flicking and waving your hair too and not just use it for straightening it.
The list of features also includes a universal voltage so you’re going to use everywhere you go, in or out of the country. The 9ft. swivel cord is going to provide impressive freedom while you’re styling your hair, whereas the sleep mode feature is going to turn it off after 30minutes of non-use.
The flat iron gets really hot and gives long lasting results. It glides nice and easy over your hair, leaving the hair frizz-free and smooth.
Here are the best parts about it:
- It comes with contoured ceramic heat plates
- It doesn’t snag nor scorches your hair
- You can use it for curling, straightening and flipping your hair
- It leaves the hair smooth and frizz free
The downsides don’t undermine its overall value:
- It doesn’t come with adjustable temperature settings
- It’s not the cheapest model out there
Dependable, versatile and easy to use, the flat iron is a wise investment to make for your natural hair, no matter which style you’re going with.
9. The award-winning CHI G2 Ceramic and Titanium Hairstyling Iron is one heat styling tool that doesn’t even need a detailed description. For those of you who need come convincing, let’s take a closer look at the main features.
The flat iron comes with upgraded ceramic and titanium technology, which isn’t that innovative, right? However, the list of features continues with user-friendly temperature controls, ergonomic design, sleek profile and long lasting results.
Not only that the flat iron is dependable, easy and comfortable to control and use, but it also comes with titanium-infused ceramic plates that sustain smooth gliding over your hair. Let’s not forget to mention the advanced technology for sub-minute heat up and the color-coded digital temperature display with preset settings for various types of hair. Choosing the right setting is going to be a breeze, for sure.
The versatility of the flat iron is also important and you can use the tool also for curling, waving, flipping or any other type of styling you want for your natural strands.
Heating up fast, the flat iron gives a great feel in the hand and glides naturally over your hair. it includes dual voltage so you can take it with you when travelling.
Here’s our list of good things:
- The flat iron is great for straightening, curling, waving or flipping your hair
- It gives long lasting results
- It’s easy and comfortable and easy to use, gliding smooth over your hair
- It’s loaded with good features
The minor flaws are no deal breakers:
- The risk for frizz isn’t null
- Some think it dries the hair
Even if the flat iron isn’t all roses and rainbows, it’s still an astonishing option to take under consideration when buying as it’s loaded with useful features and it’s in for the long time use.
Who says that you cannot have the professional grade results from the comfort of your home? The
10. BIO IONIC Onepass Straightening Iron here for the rescue and the flat iron is going to help you get the professional look that you’ve always wanted for your strands.
The flat iron comes with patented silicone speed strips in the plates which help you style faster and easier your hair. We also notice the BioCeramic heaters that are going to provide a maximum of 400F degrees, with instant recovery for the smoothest appearance of your hair. The plates are releasing natural negative ions and far infrared energy, breaking down the water clusters on your hair strands and turning them into really small molecules that hydrate your hair on deeper level. This results into shinier, smoother and frizz-free hair when you’re done with styling.
The flat iron includes Multi-level heat controller which increases its versatility. The 9ft swivel cord lets you style your hair without getting your arms all tired throughout the process. The lightweight design sure helps in terms of ease of use. The grip is solid and the flat irons gives you what you want: frizz-free and silky smooth finish.
Here’s what we like the most about it:
- It ensures silky smooth and frizz-free results
- It features patented silicone speed strips for faster styling
- It’s lightweight and easy to maneuver
- It provides professional-grade results
The minor cons are no reason for one to back down:
- It doesn’t come with auto shut off (you wouldn’t want this feature when working in a salon)
- Not everyone likes the silicone strips
At the end of the day, as it’s reliable, easy to use and impresses with its results, the flat iron is always money well spent for styling your hair on the long run.