The very first thing to do when shopping for a flat iron for your thick hair is to be make sure that your hair actually is thick. Nothing is worse than buying the top notch flat iron only to realize that it’s not good enough for your thick strands.
Buying Guide for Flat Irons for Thick Hair
How can you tell if your hair is thick or thin?
Knowing for sure which type of hair you have (thick or thin) may seem easy peasy for some, but making the difference between the density of your hair (how many hair strands are coming out of your head) and the thickness of your hair (the diameter of each of your hair strands) is fundamental. Being aware of your type of hair (thick or thin) is mandatory not only when choosing your flat iron, but any other hair care product that you’re planning to use.
You should place a single strand of hair between your forefinger and your thumb, using the other hand for pulling it out. When your hair strand feels rather hard when pulled out, chances are that your thick side. If it rather feels powerless, it’s definitely on the thinner side.
What makes a good flat iron for thick hair?
There are many things that count when selecting a flat iron, no matter the type of your hair. The ergonomic design, the adjustable temperature settings, the length and type of the power cord are all features that count on any flat iron.
Here’s what you need to check on a flat iron for your thick hair:
- The width of the plates
The width of the plates is important on a flat iron as it allows you easy use and even results. As you need plenty of heat for straightening your hair, you should look for a flat iron with wider heating plate. A moderately thick hair needs 1-1/2” wide plates, whereas a really thick hair is going to require at least 1 ½”-2” wide plates for better results.
- The heat temperature
Thick hair also has powerful hydrogen bonds, which only makes the straightening process a lot more difficult. The high heat on a flat iron is going to break down the strong hydrogen bonds in thick hair, easing the straightening efforts. Most of the flat irons out there come with temperatures over 400 degrees, which is going to be sufficient for straightening the thick hair.
- Negative ion technology
This kind of technology is going to reduce the static electricity and the frizz, helping with the straightening of your thick hair. A flat iron that comes with negative ion technology is going to put the frizz and flyaways under control, resulting in sleek and shiny smooth hair. which is something you want when using the flat iron.
One last thought
As long as you’re paying attention to the aforementioned aspects and keep an eye on your budget, you shouldn’t find the whole buying process tricky nor challenging. First thing first, make sure your hair is actually thick, though!
TOP 10 Reviews of Flat Irons for Thick Hair
1. Going shopping on a thin wallet is no fun at all, but it doesn’t mean that you should come back empty handed. The Remington 1¾” Wet2Straight Flat Iron with Ceramic + Titanium Plates is quite the winning option when you have less than $20 to spare on a good flat iron.
The flat iron is a wet to straight model and feature 1 ¾” ceramic&titanium plates that leave your hair silky and smooth with minimal risk for heat damaging it.
The steam vents are going to make the water from your damp hair disappear, allowing you easy and fast styling every time. The flat iron has a maximum temperature of 420F degrees and the indicator light is going to let you know when you can use it on dry or damp hair. You can use one of the 30 temperature settings of the flat iron, according to your type of hair and style you’re going for in a situation.
Nevertheless, the flat iron only needs 30 seconds for heating up. It also comes with auto shut off and a sturdy grip. Most likely, its low price is going to seal the deal for many.
- It comes with 1 ¾” wide ceramic &titanium plates
- It reaches 420F degrees and offers 30 temperature settings to choose from
- It heats up fast and works on both damp and wet hair
- It’s really affordable
The downsides are no reason to worry:
- The handle gets warm
- It may dry out your hair
All in all, as it’s loaded with features and straightens the thick hair without damaging it, the flat iron is one model not to skip on especially when shopping on a tight budget.
2. Even if the elegant appearance is going to be the first thing to notice on NITION 1-inch Ceramic Tourmaline Flat Iron Nano Silver Argan oil Hair Straightener, the flat iron is a lot more than just a nice looking heat styling tool.
As a matter of fact, the flat iron comes with ceramic coated heating plates that are infused with Nano Silver Argan oi and tourmaline. This means that you’re going to be able to straighten your hair, with minimal risk for damaging/pulling your hair. In addition, the flat iron is going to seal in the natural moisture, rending your thick hair healthy and shiny looking.
The tool presents MCH Heating Feature (10s fasting heating-up and even recovery almost immediately) and a one-of-a-kind C-Sensor features which is going to ensure an auto Temperature calibrating, for durable and best results.
The 3D floating plates are going to auto adjust the angle, reducing the risk for snagging, improving the gliding through your thick hair. You may use the flat iron not only for straightening, but also for flipping, waving or curling it.
The 60 minutes’ auto shut off and the 360degree swivel cord (7.5ft long) add up on the list of good features. You may choose between 6 accurate temperature settings and use the 420-450F degree for the thick hair.
Lightweight and impressing not only with its performance but also with its sleek design and profile, the flat iron is a sure buy most of the time.
Scroll down for the pros:
- The flat iron has a slim and elegant design
- You can use it for straightening, curling, flipping and waving your thick hair
- It comes with adjustable temperature settings
- It’s lightweight and versatile
Don’t forget to take a look at the cons as well:
- The buttons could be placed better
- Some would like the flat iron to heat up even faster
Having said that, as it’s dependable, great for thick hair and so stylish looking, the flat iron is worth to try whenever you’re shopping for a flat iron.
3. There are many good things that the XARA Professional 2” infrared ceramic FLAT IRON brings to the table and the 2in wide plates and the Infrared Moisture Lock Heat Technology are probably the most important ones.
Thanks to this type of technology, the flat iron is going to lock in the natural moisture, leaving your hair shinier and silkier for a good amount of time. The infrared waves are going to get deep into the hair strand, protecting your hair and reducing the risk for high heat damage.
The plates are ceramic ionic tourmaline infused types which means that they’re going to eliminate the frizz and improve the silky finish of your hair. The tourmaline infusion is also going to lower the risk for cracking and expand the durability of the results.
The Heat Balance Technology 8 microsensors are going to control the heat temperature, distributing the heat evenly all over the surface of the plates. This speeds up the straightening and helps you finish your styling faster than you thought.
The flat iron comes with dial for adjusting the temperature up to 450F degrees. It only needs 90 seconds to heat up and the Auto Shut off/Safety Mode is going to shut it down when not in use for some time.
Straightening the thick hair fast and easy, the flat iron leaves your hair silky and smooth without emptying your pockets.
Here’s the list of good things:
- It comes with ceramic ionic tourmaline infused 2in wide plates
- It straightens the hair, leaving it smooth and shiny
- It heats up fast and comes with adjustable temperature settings
- It leaves the hair silky smooth and frizz free
The cons aren’t major for sure:
- Some would like it to glide smoother
- The risk for the flat iron to dry out your hair isn’t null, which is why you should use the right hair care products when using it
Regardless of the minor problems, the flat iron is a solid choice to keep in mind, especially considering its attractive price.
4. The KIPOZI Pro Nano Titanium Flat Iron Hair Straightener comes with plenty of good features, even though its affordability may be the selling point for many.
The flat iron comes with 1.5in Titanium plates that ensure even distribution of heat, leaving your thick hair nice and silky. It only needs 30 seconds for heating up.
It’s a curl iron and a press style flat iron at the same time. It comes with easy-to-read LCD display and the plates come in full contact with your hair, without snagging throughout the styling process.
The temperature is adjustable and ranges between 170 to 450F degrees, becoming a flat iron to use on all types of hair. it also comes with dual voltage so you can travel with it abroad. Its auto shut off feature is great and spares you from worrying when using it. Let’s not forget to mention the safety lock feature that doesn’t just increase your safety, but also makes the tool more compact for easier storage when not in use.
The flat iron also comes with a hanging hook so finding its place isn’t going to be that difficult. It heats up fast and leaves your hair frizz free and shiny.
Let’s have another look at the good things:
- It comes with adjustable temperature
- The highest temp so 450F degrees and the flat iron heats up really fast
- It leaves your hair silky smooth
- It comes with auto shut off, safety lock and hanging hook
The cons aren’t major:
- The handle may get hot
- Some would have liked the flat iron to open wider
All in all, the flat iron is a dependable choice for the thick hair and quite a bang for your buck too.
5. For those of you who have the skills while handling a flat iron, the Xtava Professional Infrared Hair Straightener 2 Inch Flat Iron with Digital LCD Display is a dead on option. The 2in wide ceramic tourmaline floating plates are great to use on thick hair, but it’s going to take a bit of time until you get the best out of it.
However, once you’re comfortable with its weight and width of the plates, the flat iron is definitely going to glide nice and easy over your hair, leaving it silky smooth. The temperature is evenly distributed thanks to the bottom floating plates and the upper dual-plate technology. The design is well thought out and the plates aren’t fixed, which means better and sturdier handling.
The digital display is easy to read and you can choose one of the 10 temperature settings, which increase its versatility and reliability for use on different types of hair and styles. The temperature goes from 265F to 445F degrees so the flat iron gets hot enough for straightening the thick hair.
The list of features continues with the auto shut off and the lock feature. This means that the flat iron is going to turn off automatically after 60 minutes of no-use, and you can lock it for easier and safer storage.
Even if the plates are a bit tricky to handle in the beginning, the 8ft. long and 360 swivel cord is going to ease out your efforts, for sure.
Our list of pros looks as follows:
- It comes with 2in. wide floating tourmaline ceramic plates
- You can adjust the temperature settings
- It includes auto shut off and lock feature
- It’s great to use on various types of hair, not only on thick type
No worries when it comes to the downsides:
- It’s a bit heavy
- The risk for accidental turn off isn’t null due to the placement of the buttons
Nevertheless, as it’s reliable, powerful and comes with many features, the flat iron is always a good option for many.
6. The Award-Winning MONDAVA PROFESSIONAL 1¼\” Ceramic Tourmaline Flat Iron Hair Straightener is one lightweight heat styling tool that stands out with its ergonomic design and exclusive digital Ionic technology. The technology works with the pure ceramic tourmaline, providing salon grade results from the comfort of your home.
The flat iron comes with smooth 1 ¼” ceramic plates that are going to glide so smoothly over your thick hair. The tourmaline and Ionic technology is going to nourish your hair, leaving it frizz- free and nice looking. It seals in moisture, which translates into healthier shine for your thick hair.
The heat is evenly distributed all over the pure ceramic tourmaline plates and the flat iron gives you the chance to control the temperature digitally. The temperature ranges between 180 to 450F degrees and the tool only needs a couple of seconds to heat up.
The swivel cord isn’t going to tangle and it’s going to allow you freedom while styling your hair. The auto shut off safety feature is going to ensure a safe use and the flat iron is great to use on thick hair.
Let’s sum it all up for the main pros:
- It seals in moisture leaving your hair shiny and healthy looking
- It heats up fast up to 450F degrees
- The heat is distributed evenly
- It’s loaded with useful features
Don’t make a drama out of the minor problems:
- The paint on the plates may flake off after a while
- Not everyone goes for the red color of the plates
Even if the flat iron isn’t all roses and rainbows, it still manages to stand out with its dependable performance and list of features so you should give it a try next time you’re looking for a new flat iron.
7. Truth be told, the elegant and cute looks of the LumaBella Keratin Dual Touch Hair Straightener is going to be the very first thing to notice, but the flat iron is a lot more than meets the eye.
The heat styling tool comes with innovative ceramic plates infused with keratin micro-conditioners that are going to migrate to your hair strands, resulting into healthy and shiny looking hair. The keratin micro-conditioners are not going to leave oily residue, but only nice results.
The flat iron stands out with the embedded heat sensor strips that are going to identify when the hair is exposed to excessive heat. Thanks to this feature, the tool is going to adjust to a customized heat setting, ensuring less damage and best styling performance. You can use the flat iron for all sorts of hair styles and types of hair.
The ceramic floating plates are going to provide even heating, gliding nice and easy over your hair. the floating plate design allows a good and flexible grip on the hair, no matter the angle or how you’re holding the tool.
The flat iron gives you 5 heat settings to choose from, ranging from 300F degrees to 450F degrees. The hair looks nice and shiny, no flyways or frizz whatsoever.
Let’s have another look at the good things:
- It comes with keratin micro-conditioners
- It features embedded heat sensor strips
- It straightens the hair, leaving it shiny and healthy looking
- It has an elegant look
Don’t back down over some minor issues:
- Not everyone is impressed with its curling performance
- It’s a bit on the heavyweight side
As the good outweighs the bad, the flat iron is going to straighten your hair, leaving it shiny and silky smooth. Why not take the plunge?
8. At the expense of sounding like an old record, the more you’re willing to pay for a flat iron, the more you should expect in terms of life span and performance. The Paul Mitchell Pro Tools Express Ion Smooth+ Flat Iron isn’t the cheapest tool out there, but it’s definitely going to provide constant performance for your thick hair.
Heating up to 410F degrees in 60 seconds, the flat iron comes with Express Ion Complex. This means that it doesn’t just straighten your hair, but also leaves it shiny and healthy looking.
The flat iron comes with 1.25” cushioned ceramic plates with beveled edges so you may also use it for curling, waving or flipping. The tool ensures beautiful and healthy results every time, for a long time. It glides nice and easy through your hair, with no risk for snagging, pulling or damaging your hair strands.
The swivel cord lets you style the hair with minimal strain for your arms, whereas the hanging hook solves the problem for easier use and storage. In addition, the cord comes with Velcro strip so you can easily store it folded when not in use. The flat iron features automatic shut off so you don’t have to worry about leaving it turned on.
Small, lightweight and reliable for a good amount of time, the flat iron is an investment to make for the long run.
Our favs would be:
- It comes with 1.25” cushioned ceramic plates
- It heats up really fast and gives healthy and shiny results
- It’s loaded with good features
- It’s well made and ready to take the use for quite some time
The cons don’t make us change our mind:
- The place for the turn on/off button could be better
- It’s not a cheap flat iron
Regardless of the minor problems, as it straightens your hair and leaves it shiny and healthy, the flat iron is a good investment to make for your hair, taking the use for quite some time.
9. Made with 100% pure tourmaline ceramic, the Megastar Hair Straightener Rose Gold sure brings a lot of good things to the table.
The flat iron uses far infrared technology and integrated infrared heat strip so it heats up fast and leaves your hair silky and smooth in no time. The 1in precision-engineered floating plates glide smoothly through your hair, whereas the Ion Booster is going to give 1000% more negative ion conditioning technology. This technology is going to seal in moisture, eliminating frizz and leaving your hair healthy and silky looking.
Due to its abilities, you may only have to pass just once over your strands, with no risk for tugging, pulling or snagging. The beveled plate design allows you to use the flat iron for curling and straightening as well.
The flat iron heats up to 450F degrees within seconds and the entirely rotating swivel power cord lets you use the flat iron with minor risk for getting your arms all tired. The automatic shut off feature keeps you safe and the buttons are placed on the inside of the tool, eliminating the risk for accidental operation.
The ergonomic design looks nice and the flat iron comes with dual voltage for high versatility.
We’ve shorted the pros to the following:
- The flat iron leaves the hair silky and smooth
- You can use it for straightening and curling
- It’s loaded with useful features
- It has an ergonomic design and a nice appearance
The negatives are no reason to stress about:
- It gets dirty rather fast
- Cleaning it isn’t easy
Even if the flat iron isn’t the cheapest option out there, you should definitely take the leap of faith with it as it’s not going to disappoint you with its performance or results.
10. The Multi award-winning Cloud Nine Original Iron is one flat iron that is going to surprise you with its performances and features.
The flat iron comes with renowned temperature control and mineral-coated ceramic plates.
You can choose one of the 5 temperature settings, according to your type of hair and hair style in a certain situation.
The floating and mineral-coated ceramic plates aren’t harsh with your hair, so they’re not only straightening it, but also condition and take good care of it. The flat iron manages to give smooth and shiny results without using high temperatures. The floating plates cushion the impact throughout every section, reducing the risk for pinching and dragging.
The flat iron only needs 20 seconds to heat up and comes with international voltage and protective heat guard. Lightweight and presenting an ergonomic design, the flat iron definitely deserves every single penny.
Listing our favorite parts:
- It comes with 5 temperature settings
- It features floating mineral-coated ceramic plates
- It leaves the hair beautiful and shiny
- It has protective heat guard and international voltage
You shouldn’t sit on the fence because of some minor issues:
- It doesn’t come with a travelling case
- Its highest temperature isn’t as high as you’d think
Even if some are going to see it as a high-dollar option, the flat iron is going to satisfy the picky customers out there as it provides reliable performance without ever damaging your hair. why not pay the extra buck?