Don’t get us wrong: there’s nothing bad about keeping your black hair all natural, but this doesn’t mean you shouldn’t try some makeover with a new color every now and then.
Due to the challenges that the African-American hair brings to the table, you can’t just go with the first dye you find over the counter. You need to get informed and find out which hair dyes work the best for the natural black hair as you don’t want to damage your curl pattern.
What counts when choosing a hair dye for black hair?
The black hair is naturally dry, so you need to get the dye that isn’t going to dry out your hair even more. You don’t want to use a dye that is formulated on many harsh chemicals, as it’s only going to weigh down your hair strands, raising the risk for frizz and breakage later on.
Look for the dyes that are made with moisture-rich ingredients that give a vibrant feel to your tresses, hydrating and moisturizing your hair at the same time. When it comes to black hair, you should never compromise on moisture and hydration, no matter how great that dye looks from the label.
How to make the right choice?
Don’t be afraid and have some bold choices when choosing the dye for your hair. the light hair shades are actually complimenting the darker skin colors and there are many light brown hair colors that look great on black women. Never forget about your skin tone when choosing the color of your dye.
Try to use a light brown base and add some pretty strawberry highlights when your complexion is on the warm side. Try some light honey brown hair colors when you have a warm glow as natural colors always look great on black hair.
Some platinum highlights with a light brown base are going to look amazing on cooler skin tones, but you should also go for the dramatic changes every now and then.
Top 15 Reviews of Hair Dyes for Black Hair
1. Just because you’re going shopping on a tight budget, doesn’t mean you should come back home empty handed. Not only Revlon Colorsilk Moisture Rich Hair Color, Burgundy No. 5 is affordable, but it also gives nice results too.
The dye is especially formulated for the African-American women. The formula is also ammonia-free which explains the lack of smell. It gives a high-definition color that lasts for a good amount of time.
You also get a post-treatment conditioner that is formulated with argan oil, nourishing and conditioning your hair.
The color looks amazing under the sunlight and the dye covers well the gray hairs.
Here’s what we like a lot on the dye:
- It comes in 10 shades
- It looks amazing under sunlight
- It comes with conditioner that nourishes your hair and enhances the color
- It’s ammonia free
The issues aren’t major at all:
- One may have to bleach the hair first
- Not everyone is going to get the expected results
Regardless of the minor issues, the dye still stands as an affordable and nice option, especially formulated for African-American hair.
2. Revive your black curls with the SoftSheen-Carson Dark and Lovely Go Intense Ultra Vibrant Color on Dark Hair, Super Black.
the high-care color for African-American hair, the dye boosts your color and shine. The cream –gel color formula doesn’t dry out the hair as it’s made with olive oil. It has a non-drip consistency that is easy to apply and spread evenly on hair strands. The dye ensures 100% gray coverage.
Nourishing and moisturizing the hair, the dye leaves the hair softer, shinier and smoother. It gives a nice color vibrancy to even the darkest shades and compliments your skin tone.
The dye has bleach in it so it’s better to wait 2weeks after bleaching, relaxing or perming your hair.
Here’s what we like the most about it:
- The dye gives a vibrant color to your hair
- It has a non-drip consistency
- It’s made with olive oil
- It conditions and moisturizes the hair
We’re not concern about the inherent problems:
- One may find it difficult to rinse out
- Some expected even better gray coverage
Affordable and easy to use, the dye is far from being a lemon and you should definitely try it for a fresher feel of your black curls.
3. Able not to color your black hair, but also to strengthen your hair, the Clairol Textures and Tones hair Dye may surprise you in a good way with its results.
The dye softens your hair and leaves it smoother and with a pleasant soft touch feel to it. Your hair gets a reflective shine to it after using the dye. The conditioner is rich and moisturizing efficiently your hair.
The tone is true to the description and the dye gives nice results on ethnic hair.
Let’s highlight the main good things:
- The dye comes with nice colors
- The tone is true to the description
- It strengthens and softens the hair
- It gives the hair a nice shine
We’re not changing our mind over some minor problems:
- Some got an orange tint on the hair
- One may expect the color to last longer
All in all, the dye gives a nice shine to the black hair and a pretty color too, without damaging the texture. This should be enough of a reason for you to try it.
4. Giving your black hair a nice natural color, the Softsheen Carson Fade Resist Rich Conditioning Color Iced Coffee Espresso is a great option to have in mind when shopping.
The dark cool brown shade is nice for your skin tone and has no yellow undertones. The color is a rich Italian roast and pretty silky. The dye comes with a nourishing conditioner that is formulated with 3 fruit oils: avocado, oil and shea oil, that nourish efficiently your hair from root to tip.
Thanks to its formula, the dye protects your hair from damage and improves your hair texture and luster. It moisturizes your hair and leaves the hair silky smooth.
Easy to mix and to apply, the dye doesn’t need bleaching either.
Here’s what we like the most about it:
- The dye is a nice color and doesn’t require bleaching
- It leaves the hair silky smooth
- It protects the hair from damage
- The conditioner nourished the hair
The inherent flaws are minor:
- It’s a bit messy to use
- The color may not last as much as planned in some cases
However, as it’s protecting your hair and has a nice natural color, you should give the dye a try.
5. Even if it’s not especially formulated for the black hair, many are going to find the Garnier Olia Hair Color, 6.3 Light Golden Brown quite a dependable option for their hair.
The formula is ammonia-free and the dye stands out with its attractive and subtle fragrance. It gives a radiant and beautiful color to your hair and leaves it healthier too. It hydrates your hair and makes it silky smooth.
It covers 100% gray hairs and its rich formula is based on 60% oils. It’s made with natural flower oils and doesn’t weigh down your hair.
Some may not go with its thicker consistency, but this actually eases up the application. You get an easy applicator bottle with developer, the colorant tube, the gloves, the after color conditioner and the instruction too.
The dye doesn’t stain and it’s safe for the sensitive skin as well.
We’re confident about its qualities:
- It gives a radiant color to your hair
- It hydrates the hair and softens it
- It doesn’t stain nor weighs down the hair
- It’s good value for the price
The downsides are far from making us change our mind about the dye:
- It contains peroxide
- The bottle has a weird shape
All things considered, for the gentle formula and nice results, the dye is worth to try even on black hair.
6. If you want to give your hair a shiny black color, don’t be afraid to try the Clairol Textures & Tones * 1b – Silken Black.
The dye is permanent and gives luminous results. It offers your hair a reflective shine and doesn’t wash out your skin tone. It covers great gray hairs and is dependable for the corrective jobs.
Easy to apply, the dye blends well and gives a natural color to your hair.
Let’s see what we like the most about it:
- It gives a natural black shine to your hair
- Your hair becomes shinier and more radiant
- It blends well and it’s easy to apply
- It’s great for the corrective jobs and for hiding the gray hairs
Don’t turn the minor issues into some deal breakers:
- It’s a bit messy, especially when you’re washing it out
- You may simply don’t go for the results
Leaving your hair shiny black, the dye is a valid option to keep in mind when shopping.
7. Giving results that last even for 8 weeks, the Vidal Sassoon Pro Series Hair Color acts just like any other brand dye. It provides salon-quality color and the color is pretty vibrant.
Made with the VS HydraBlock technology, the dye is going to waterproof your color and block the minerals in water fade the color.
The dye covers efficiently the gray areas and the color doesn’t fade out fast. It comes with step-by-step instructions that are pretty easy to follow. It doesn’t have side effect and you get enough of it for more than just one usage.
Here’s what we like a lot about the dye:
- It creates a vibrant color
- The color doesn’t fade out fast
- It covers entirely the gray areas
- It doesn’t cause irritation or other side effects
Don’t let the inherent flaws stand in your way when deciding:
- It’s a bit thinning for some
- Not everyone is happy with the results
The good outweighs the bad and you shouldn’t sit on the fence when going shopping.
8. Permanent and nourishing your hair, the Garnier Nutrisse Ultra Color Nourishing Hair Color Crème is a good choice for many. The dye is made with three fruit oils: olive, shea and avocado which explain its nourishing abilities.
Made with color boost technology, the dye is going to work even on the darkest bases. It comes in 21 bold shades, so there are plenty of options for you to try.
The dye also comes with an ampoule of grapeseed oil so you may begin nourishing your hair as you’re dying your hair. better nourished hair means a nicer and more intense color later on.
Easy to use, the dye presents a non-drip formula that is easy to spread on hair strands. The after-color conditioner nourishes the hair and enhances the color of your choice. The formula doesn’t damage the hair and gives a good coverage. It comes off easy from the skin and doesn’t irritate the scalp.
Here’s what we like the most about it:
- It comes with after-color conditioner that nourishes your hair
- You may choose from 21 bold colors
- It’s easy to use and to spread
- It gives a nice coverage and doesn’t irritate the scalp
The cons aren’t major:
- One may find it difficult to find the right color
- The purple is a bit on the red side
Nourishing and easy to use, the dye stands as a great choice for the black hair any given day.
9. When you’re determined to try the lightest blonde on your hair, take the leap of faith with the Clairol Textures & Tones 7G Lightest Blonde.
The dye is especially made for ethnic hair and gives 100% gray coverage. It doesn’t contain any ammonia and it’s so easy to use.
Offering permanent results, the dye ensures a moisture-rich color and lightens your ends. It comes with a helpful conditioner that has a nice slip and a pleasant smell.
The dye gives a nice radiance to your hair and the color looks great.
Here’s what we like a lot about it:
- It lightens even the dark ends
- It’s formulated for African-American hair
- It gives a nice color to your hair
- Its conditioner nourishes and leaves a nice smell to your hair
We’re not concern about the minor issues:
- Not everyone is going to get results
- Make sure you know what you’re doing
We try to focus on the goods as they’re so many and you should try the dye when going blonde.
10. The vibrant color of the Creme of Nature Exotic Shine Color #7.64 Bronze Copper looks great on black hair and the dye is going to cover 100% the gray hair. It conditions permanent hair color and strengthens your hair as it’s made with micro-sphere technology.
The nourishing treatment is formulated with argan oil which is why it softens and deeply conditions tour hair. It locks in color, while moisturizing your hair. The vitamins go deep in the shaft during the coloring process and reduce the risk for damaging your hair. The hair becomes stronger and shinier.
The color is true and the dye is fairly easy to apply.
Here are the best parts about it:
- It strengthens the hair and gives it a nice color
- It conditions the hair
- It covers 100% the gray hair
- It’s easy to apply
Don’t let some minor problems change your mind:
- Some didn’t get results
- One may feel it a bit drying
As long as you’re focusing on the goods, which are plenty, you shouldn’t worry at all about trying the dye.
11. The ammonia-free formula of the Just 5 Women\’s 5 Minute Permanent Hair Color is one good reason for liking the dye, but the dye brings a lot more to the table.
Protecting your hair thanks to its replenishing conditioner, the dye is gentle and blends the gray areas so nicely. It’s a safe choice for relaxed or straightened hair and you may use it the same day when relaxing your hair.
The results are going to last for 6 weeks, which is when the gray starts showing again. The dye is easy to apply and doesn’t stain or cause any discoloration of your skin.
It’s gentle for your hair and doesn’t wash out or fade out that easily.
Here are its best parts:
- It blends gray amazingly
- It’s gentle and may be used on relaxed/straightened hair
- It has an ammonia-free formula
- It doesn’t stain nor leads to discoloration of the skin
We need to list the flaws for the complete picture:
- The risk for some allergic reaction isn’t null
- It’s a bit messy, according to some
Covering efficiently the gray and gentle for the relaxed hair, the dye should be on your shopping list, albeit it’s a tad messy.
12. If you’re ready to shift a bit from your natural black hair, don’t hesitate to give it a try with the Dark and Lovely Color 384 Light Golden Blonde.
The dye works amazing for the black hair as it’s accurately formulated to work with the natural undertones of dark hair. Not only it’s going to change your hair’s color for the better, but it’s also going to give your hair a healthy and pleasant shine. The reflective color looks nice and it’s not difficult to accomplish either.
Due to its formula, the dye doesn’t damage your hair nor dries it out. If anything, it even improves the texture and the appearance of your hair. it moisturizes your hair so nicely.
The color guide is accurate and the dye is easy to use. In order to get best results, you shouldn’t wash your hair 48 hours before dying the hair. It’s also a good idea to deep condition the hair 1-2 days prior the dying process.
Here are our favs:
- The dye gives a nice and warm color to the black hair
- It works with the natural undertones
- It doesn’t dry out nor damage your hair
- It’s moisturizing for the hair
We’re not forgetting the downsides:
- Some may not like the package offer
- The process may run a bit slower than expected
Having said that, the dye is a great opportunity for someone with black hair to make a real change.
13. Warm up your black curls with an attractive chestnut color that the Shea Moisture Medium Chestnut is able to give you.
Formulated with the shea butter, acai and various oils, the dye is going to change the color of your hair, while protecting it from damage. Additionally, the color your get is vibrant and your hair is well moisturized and nourished by the end of the coloring process.
The dye is easy to apply and gives good coverage. It leaves your hair silky smooth and doesn’t dry it out either. The color is natural and the dye is good value for the money.
We’re confident about the qualities of the dye:
- It leads to a nice and natural chestnut color
- It presents a nourishing combo of natural ingredients
- It nourishes and moisturizes the hair
- It’s easy to apply
Let’s not change our minds over some minor problems:
- Some expected better gray coverage
- The results may differ from one another
Having said that, as it doesn’t dry out the hair and gives such a lovely color for your black hair strands, you should definitely give the dye a try next time you’re coloring your hair.
14. For the bold ones that dare to make themselves noticed in a crowd, the Dark and Lovely Go Intense! Hair Color No.66, Spicy Red seems like the obvious choice.
The dye presents non-drip consistency that ensures clean applying. Additionally, the dye is easy to spread on your hair strands too. It doesn’t stain or causes any discoloration either.
Thanks to its effective formula, the dye provides 100% gray coverage. It blends nice and easy and the results are quite impressive.
The color has a nice shine and the dye softens your hair, without damaging it.
Here’s what we like a lot about this one:
- The dye gives a vibrant and shiny color
- It has a non-dripping formula
- It’s easy to use and to spread
- It covers the gray well
Don’t make a drama out of some minor flaws:
- It comes in a pack of 2, which some may not like
- One may not find it affordable
Even if going red is quite a big decision for anyone, hands down for Dark&Lovely for giving us such a dependable option for the black hair.
15. If you’re only looking for a colorant and not a permanent dye, you may very well have your shot at it with the Just 5 5 Minute Colorant, Natural Jet Black.
Gentle enough to be used one day after relaxing your hair, the dye offers impressive coverage for gray and it’s money well spent any given day.
Its ammonia-free formula is worth to mention and the dye comes with MoistureDuo conditioner that protects especially the relaxed hair from drying out.
It takes you only 5 minutes to apply the dye and your hair is going to get a healthy and attractive color. The results are going to last for 6 weeks or so. Your hair becomes healthier and more radiant and the dye is a sure choice.
We’ve shorted the pros to the following:
- The colorant gives a nice color to your hair
- It’s gentle and you may use it one day after relaxing the hair
- It comes with conditioner that protects the hair from drying out
- The results last for 6 weeks
We’re pretty sure that the minor issues aren’t going to make you change your mind:
- It’s not a permanent dye, but you should be informed when buying
- It comes in a 3pack, which some may not particularly like
Nevertheless, as it gives pleasant results and it takes only 5 minutes of your time for applying, the dye is worth the chance beyond the doubt.