Hair straighteners, aka “flat irons” use heat in order to break the hydrogen bonds in the keratin of hair strand. The heat is going to permit the reshaping of the hair- a smoother shape when using the hair straightener.
Typically, the heat is applied by two flat irons that are going to clamp, compressing and re-shaping your hair into a flat shape.
However, this is only the main principle as there are some various designs, materials and strategies out there, but they only do one same thing: straightening your hair.
- Buying Guide For Hair Straighteners
- Best Selling Hair Straighteners
Buying Guide For Hair Straighteners
What are the main types of hair straighteners?
This is the very first thing to decide on when looking for a hair straightener. Let’s see the main types of hair straighteners:
- Clamp flat irons
They’re probably the most popular and the most basic type of hair straightener. There are many materials and settings, but the fundamental traits are that they’re two-iron appliance that clamps together around the strands.
Easy to use and matching any kind of budget, the clamp flat irons win the popularity test for sure.
The ionic hair appliances are winning their fans as we speak. They use ionic technology, emitting negatively charged particles (ions), straightening the hair. water is positively charged and the ions are negatively charged, so they heat and dry the hair really fast. They’re amazing for keeping the hair’s cuticle nice and smooth, eliminating frizz.
- Wet to dry straighteners
When you’re using a hair straightener, your hair has to be dry to begin with as you don’t want to damage your hair while straightening it.
A wet to dry straightener is going to work on damp hair, without damaging the moist hair. this type of hair straightener is great especially if you’re always on the run.
- Straightening brush
This tool eases your styling efforts as it lowers the number of tools that you need for styling your hair. it may be rough on hair as it detangles and smooths at the same time, but it surely gives you speed when straightening.
What are the common materials used for hair straighteners?
Not only that there are different styles of hair straighteners, but the materials used may differ too.
Here are the most common options:
Ceramic is a popular material for many hair styling tools as it’s great for dispersing the heat evenly. It also gives you the possibility to control style, reducing the risk for accidental hot spots.
A ceramic hair straightener is also going to eliminate frizz, which always ruins a hair style.
Tourmaline is another material capable to disperse the heat evenly, while putting frizz under control. It’s a semi-precious stone and it’s paired with ceramic for better performances. It gives a smoother and straighter look, eliminating the snag and catches during the straightening.
If you’re looking for high heat to straighten your hair, titanium is always a good choice. Holding high heat very well, the titanium hair straightener heats up really fast, satisfying the customer with coarse hair. it’s not the best option for someone with really fine or sensitive hair type.
Does the size matter?
Hair straighteners come in all sorts of sizes as well. Your hair length and style are the main aspects to take under consideration when selecting the size:
- Small straighteners
They’re the ideal option for the short hair or for one that is only straightening small areas of hair (bangs, for instance). They’re very easy to control and ensure better precision during styling. Some models are as small as a half-inch n width and any size under an inch is a small straightener.
- Medium-sized straighteners
This type of hair straightener is good for customers with mid-length/slightly longer hair. they are versatile and may work on shorter hair and longer hair as well. An inch to an inch and a half in width is what you call a medium-sized straightener.
- Large straighteners
If your hair is long and thick, you should definitely go with this type of hair straightener. Anything going from 1inch and ¾ in width is a large hair straightener.
What other features count when selecting?
It’s not only the material, style and size to think about when choosing. Some other features may ease up the whole process so take a look at them too:
- Temperature settings
Most of the straighteners out there only come with one setting: on or off. You can also find models with heat settings which are going to let you set the exact temperature you want for styling your hair.
Getting a hair straightener with plenty of heat control is a wise thing especially if your hair sits on the sensitive side or if your curls need a lot of heat for caving in.
- Automatic shut-off
Most of the modern straighteners come with automatic shut-off feature which is great for the safety use. Thanks to this feature, the hair straightener is going to shut off on its own after some time.
- Safety shut lock
This feature lets you lock the flat iron clamp in a closed position, which eases the storage and reduces the risk for burns. It also lowers the chance of one picking a hot iron by the hot metal plate. It’s a great feature to have on a straightener, especially if you have kids in the house.
There are hair straighteners that use steam feature for function which is produced by the straightener itself. It’s great for protecting your hair through styling, reducing the risk for damage.
- Swivel cord
Many hair straighteners come with swivel cord which allows you to maneuver the tool around you head in all sorts of directions, with no tangling, twists or catches. You may rotate the tool as much as you want as the cord is going to swivel and pivot along with your movements.
How much should you pay for a hair straightener?
All the materials, size, types, details and features are going to reflect on the final price of your hair straightener. You are the one to know if you want a basic model or if you’re seeking a more sophisticated appliance that does everything you dreamed of and more.
Are you going to use it daily or only from time to time? If you only want one for irregular use, $20 is going to be enough for a basic, yet reliable model. You shouldn’t expect much in terms of durability or fast heating, nevertheless.
You can also find great options under $50 that deliver good performance and don’t empty your pockets.
In a nut shell, the more you’re willing to pay, the more you should expect in terms of durability, extra features, quality of the materials and ease of use. At the end of the day, it’s your needs and your wallet that narrow your options when selecting!
One last tip before choosing
The market is really generous and you may get overwhelmed with the number of possibilities. As long as you know exactly your type of hair, styling needs and skills and don’t forget about the size of your wallet, finding the right hair straightener shouldn’t be mission impossible after all.
Best Selling Hair Straighteners
1. The HSI Professional Glider | Ceramic Tourmaline Ionic Flat Iron Hair Straightener is definitely going to win the popularity test and you should go over the details to understand why.
The hair straightener comes with high quality ceramic plates that distribute the heat evenly, eliminating the need for multiple passes over your strands. The micro sensors protect the hair from damage too.
The plates are both tourmaline crystal ion and ceramic, ensuring a silky smooth look for your hair. they’re 1-in wide so the tool works for all sorts of hair lengths. You can also use it for your bangs, whereas the curved edges allow adjusting the angle for less snagging of your hair.
The adjustability of the tool is great and you can actually set the temperature from 140 to 450F degrees. The dial for adjusting the temperature runs easy and the risk for accidental dialing is really low.
The tool has an ergonomic design and comes with a steady grip, easing up the use. The cord is 7ft. long and it’s a swivel type, for easier maneuvering.
The hair straightener comes with storage pouch for comfortable storage when not in use. The style guide is plenty helpful, whereas the included glove protects your hand while styling.
On top of everything else, the straightener has dual voltage so you can pack it along when travelling abroad.
Let’s see the main good things:
- It comes with ceramic and tourmaline crystal plates
- It heats up and evenly
- It comes with adjustable temperature and swiveling cord
- It’s easy and safe to use
The downsides are no deal breakers for us:
- One may think it has no durability feel to it
- The risk for the handle to get hot isn’t null
Dependable, safe, adjustable, versatile and affordable, the hair straightener checks most quality boxes and makes happy even the pickiest customer. Why not take the plunge?
2. If you’re looking for a good flat iron, but your wallet is thin, the Remington 1” Flat Iron with Anti-Static Technology and Digital Controls s houldn’t be skipped on for sure.
The straightener is made with Anti-Static technology so it’s going to reduce the static and the flyaways. It comes with 1” long ceramic plates which is a good size for most hair lengths.
The plates feature titanium protection coating, so the straightener is going to heat up pretty fast. It reaches 410F degrees and the digital controls ease the use. The digital controls with LCD screen allow you to find and use just the right temperature for your hair, selecting one from the 6 heat settings (310 to 410 F degrees).
Using the straightener is safe as it also comes with automatic shut off in 60 minutes, reducing the risk for accidents. No worries about straining your hands while straightening your hair as the tool comes with swivel cord, giving you the freedom to use all sorts of movements during styling.
Here are the things we like the most about it:
- It comes with 1” long ceramic plates
- It has adjustable temperature setting and LCD dial
- It heats up fast and it’s easy to use
- It’s really cheap and comes with swivel cord
The cons are no reason to worry:
- The risk for pulling isn’t null
- It doesn’t have a durability feel to it
Beggars cannot be choosers so you should be happy with your choice as it’s reliable, versatile, easy to use and fast heating too.
3. Heating up in no time up to almost 400F degrees, the CHI Original 1″ Flat Hair Straightening Ceramic Hairstyling Iron is always a good investment to make for your hair.
The straightener comes with 1” far infrared plates which leave the hair silky smooth, frizz free and no static whatsoever.
You can use the straightener for straightening, waving, curling or flipping your strands. The design is good and the grip is steady so you’re going to use it easy all the time.
The ceramic plates don’t snag and protect the hair, African-American hair including. The flash quick heating is going to inform you when to use the straightener, but the tool isn’t adjustable which may be the main downside of it. However, it’s loaded with other features that help you overcome this pet peeve.
The 11ft. cord is a swivel type so styling your hair isn’t going to be tricky nor straining for your hands. It’s a dual voltage straightener that has a smart and comfortable design, easing the use. The risk for accidental pressing the on/off switch is minor.
Lightweight and comfortable to use for styling your hair in so many ways, the straightener impresses with its design and reliable performance.
Let’s have another look at the good things:
- It comes with 1” ceramic plates
- You can use it for straightening, curling, waving and flipping
- It leaves a silky smooth finish on your hair
- It’s versatile and very easy to use
The downsides aren’t major:
- It has no adjustable heat settings
- It may pull
All things considered, the straightener is one solid option that is easy to use, versatile and leaving your hair silky smooth. Isn’t this pretty much everything you’d want in a hair straightener?
4. The Remington 1¾” Wet2Straight Flat Iron with Ceramic + Titanium Plates is a wet to straight toll that comes with 1 3/4” ceramic&titanium plates. The plates are going to straighten your hair, without damaging it.
The tool features steam vents which are going to eliminate water from damp hair so you may style and dry your hair at the same time. The maximum heat is 420F degrees and the tool is easy to use on both damp and dry hair.
The list of features includes an indicator light that informs you when it’s the best heat to straighten your wet hair (green light) or dry hair (amber light). The tool only needs 30 seconds for heating up and gives you 30 temperature settings to choose from.
The auto shut off is really helpful, taking your mind of the safety. The design is good and the tool comes with a good grip. It’s strong and dependable and quite a bang for your buck too.
Here are our favs about it:
- The tool straightens both wet and dry hair
- It features steam vents for eliminating water
- It comes with 1 ¾” ceramic& titanium plates
- The heat is adjustable and the tool has many good features
The flaws aren’t major:
- It’s a bit heavy
- It may be too much for some
Affordable, versatile and adjustable, the wet to straight flat iron is going to be money well spent for many, even if it may not pass the durability test.
5. Another straightener that is quite the big hit out there is the KIPOZI Professional Flat Iron with 1 Inch Titanium Ion plates.
The straightener is a titanium model that comes with PTC ceramic heater and far-infrared technology, which is going to give negative ions that moisten the hair, leaving the hair shiny and sleek. The 3D floating plates aren’t going to pull the hair, whereas the 1” plate width is wide enough for all sorts of hair lengths.
The tool comes with adjustable temperature so you may find the right one for your type of hair. the LCD digital display is easy to read and the tool reaches to 380F degrees in just 15 seconds. The temperature ranges from 170F degrees to 450F degrees.
The list of features also includes the safety auto shut off after not using it for 90 minutes. The safety lock design makes the use even safer, but also eases the storage problem.
The 8ft. swivel cord gives you plenty of freedom while styling your hair and the dual voltage increase its versatility. It has a cute pink color that many like.
Easy to use, with minimal risk for pinching or pulling your hair, the straightener is one dependable option to keep in mind, without even breaking the bank.
Let’s sum it all up for the list of pros:
- It comes with adjustable temperature settings
- It features 3D floating plates that don’t pull, pinch or snag
- It has LCD digital display
- It comes with auto shut off and safety lock design
The downsides don’t make us change our mind:
- It may take a while to straighten a thick hair with it
- Some think that the finish may be improved
At the end of the day, the straightener comes with adjustable heat settings, many features and has an attractive price too. You shouldn’t skip it when buying, for sure.
Best buy hair straighteners
6. The very smooth titanium plates of the BaBylissPRO Nano Titanium-Plated Ultra-Thin Straightening Iron are capable of conducting high heat and handle corrosion too, but these aren’t the only good things of the hair straightener.
The heat styling tool comes with ceramic heater so it heats up almost instantly. The tool impresses with its lightweight and sleek design, making the styling a breeze every time. It comes with Ryton housing for safe touch during use and swivel cord for strain-free maneuvering when styling your hair.
Not only that the tool comes with heat adjustable settings, but you can actually choose one between the 50 heat settings that the tool offers. The maximum heat is 450F degrees and the hair straightener doesn’t need much time to reach it.
The 5in extended plate make the straightening an easy job and a customer with thick and curly hair is definitely going to cut down the time when styling.
The tool gives a smooth and silky appearance to your hair, with minimal risk for heat damaging it.
Let’s take a closer look at the details:
- It comes with smooth titanium plates
- It heats up really fast
- It has 50 heat settings
- It has a slim design and it’s comfortable to use
The downsides are no reason for one to change his/her mind:
- It has no light indicator to inform you when it’s ready to use
- The on/off switch is on the side so the risk for accidental opening isn’t null
Long story short, for the slim design, amazing heat settings, reliable performance and durability, the hair straightener is money well spent any given day.
Best straighteners for thick hair
7. Straightening thick hair is quite the challenge, especially when you’re not using the right heat styling tool. It’s not going to be the case with the Xtava Professional Infrared Hair Straightener 2 Inch Flat Iron with Digital LCD Display that has just the right power and features to straighten your thick fast and easy, without even damaging it.
The hair straightener comes with 2in wide ceramic tourmaline floating plates, gliding nice and easy through thickest hair. The bottom floating plates and the upper dual-plate technology keep the heat evenly throughout the styling session. The plates aren’t fixed so you may flex with your hair for safer grip. Your hair turns out sleek and silky smoot even sooner than you’d expect.
The tool comes with digital display and includes 10 temperature settings and an LCD digital display which is really easy to read. The temperature ranges from 265F to 445F degrees and you can set it according to your hair type or styling choice.
The auto shut off and the lock feature ensure a safe use every time. The straightener only needs 90 seconds for heating up and it’s going to turn off on its own after 60 minutes of no-use. The 8ft. long cord is a 360degree swivel type that doesn’t tangle, but eliminates effort while you’re straightening.
Here’s what we like the most about it:
- It comes with wide 2in bottom floating plates
- It heats up really fast and gives even heat throughout the styling
- It has adjustable heat settings
- It’s really efficient for thick hair
The minor cons aren’t deal breakers:
- The risk for frizz isn’t null
- The placement of the buttons could be better
No matter the minor downsides, as it heats up fast and straightens the thick hair a lot faster than many other options, the hair straightener is a sure buy for anyone with thick hair.
Best straighteners for curly hair
8. Truth be told, it does take a lot of dedication and determination to straighten the curly hair. however, you can do it a lot easier and faster when using the BaBylissPRO Nano Titanium-Plated Ionic Straightening Iron.
The hair straightener comes with Nano titanium technology which includes maximum far-infrared heat, straightening your strands without damaging them. Most of you don’t know, but Nano titanium is a n amazing conductor of heat, maintaining stability in high temperatures. Not only that the titanium plates are smooth and conduct high heat fast and easy, but they’re also corrosion resistant, which means that they’re going to pass the durability test.
You may use the straightener in various situations as it comes with heat adjustable settings. The temperature goes up to 450F degrees and the fast heat recovery makes the styling more effective, without any damaging hot spots.
The digital ionic technology emits natural ions so your curls are going to become sleek and shiny. The Ryton housing takes the high heat and the straightener provides a steady grip. It has a sleek design and a long cord which allows easy handling of the tool.
Let’s have another look at the good things:
- It comes with Nano titanium technology
- It heats up fast and it’s easy to use
- It includes adjustable heat settings
- It turns the curls into shiny and silky strands
The minor problems are nothing to be concerned about:
- It’s a tad bulky
- Its price is a bit off putting
Nevertheless, as it’s efficient and gives results fast and easy, you should take the leap of faith and pay the extra buck when you want your curls to be silky smooth. No matter what.
Best straighteners for short hair
9. If you have short hair and want to straighten it, finding a hair straightener that is both small and efficient isn’t an easy task. The Kipozi 1 Inch Pro Nano-Titanium Flat Iron is managing to check the most important features for straightening short hair as it comes with 1in 3D floating plates and adjustable heat settings.
The straightener is capable to get up to 450F degrees and only needs 30 seconds to heat up. It offers 3 modes that go for various types of hair: 270F degrees for fragile hair, 350F degrees for the colored/damaged hair and 410F degrees for the healthy hair.
The LCD touch screen is easy to read and to use, whereas the contoured floating plates glide nice and easy through your hair, leaving it shiny and smooth.
The list of features also includes the slide to unlock auto off and dual voltage for better versatility. The 360degree swivel cord allows you to straighten your short hair with minor effort, whereas the lightweight design makes the whole styling process even less strenuous.
The best part about the hair straightener is that all of that fast performance, fast heating and easier use come for an attractive price, turning the straightener into a great deal for many.
Here are our favorite parts about it:
- It comes with contoured floating 1in plates
- It has 3 different heating modes
- It glides nice and easy through your hair
- It’s lightweight, fast and dependable
The downsides don’t scare us:
- Some wanted better adjustments for the heat settings
- The risk for pulling isn’t null
The good outweighs the bad and the hair straightener is a valid option for many customers, not only for the ones with short hair.
Best professional hair straighteners
10. If you’re determined to step up your game and think you’re ready for a professional grade hair straightener, you should definitely take a look at the BIO IONIC Onepass Straightening Iron.
The hair straightener stands out in terms of straightening iron technology as it helps you be done with the hair straightening in no time. It features patented silicone speed strips in the plates which are going to speed up the stylings.
The BioCeramic heaters are going to heat up the tool up to 400F degrees, ensuring instant recovery for smoother results. The plates emit natural negative ions and far infrared energy which is going to break down the water clusters on the hair strands into tiny molecules that go deep and hydrate the hair, eliminating frizz and leaving your hair silky and shiny.
The tool comes with Multi-level heat controller for better versatility and 9ft swivel cord for comfortable and easier use.
Lightweight and with a sure grip, the hair straightener ensures professional performance, eliminating frizz and flyaways.
Let’s have another look at the good things:
- It comes with patented silicone speed strips in the plates
- It heats up fast and glides smoothly through your hair
- It features multi-level heat controller
- It leaves your hair silky smooth and shiny
The things we like less aren’t major:
- It doesn’t come with automatic shut off as it’s a professional model
- It’s not cheap
Even if the hair straightener isn’t all roses and rainbows, it’s still one solid option to consider when you’re aiming for professional grade performance from your hair straightener.
Best mini hair straighteners
11. If you’re looking for a backup straightener as you’re planning to travel, the BaBylissPRO Nano Titanium Mini Straightening Iron is going to be exactly what you need.
Don’t let the small size fool as this little tool is going to pull quite a number on you. It comes with Nano titanium/ceramic plates and doesn’t need much time to heat up to 440F degrees. It’s a great choice for the short hair, but it’s going to handle the straightening long hair if you have enough patience.
The 1” plates can get really close to the scalp, allowing you to work to the hair ends for a smoother straightening. They don’t pull nor snag and leave your hair silky smooth every time. The little rubber grips ensure a steady grip and the hair straightener is easy to use, leaving the hair frizz free and sleek.
The tool comes with dual voltage therefore you can confidently travel aboard with it. Lightweight and great for heat retention, the hair straightener comes with a travel purse, solving the storage problem as well.
Here’s our list of favorites:
- It heats up to 430F degrees really fast
- It comes with Nano titanium/ceramic plates
- It has dual voltage and travel purse
- It’s easy to use and glides smooth through hair
Don’t make a fuss over some minor flaws:
- The handle gets hot
- It may not be the best choice for the long hair, but it’s an option when you’re travelling
Having said that, we’re confident that the hair straightener is always going to find its place in a travel bag and it’s going to give some nice results too.
Best straighteners for thick frizzy hair
12. Heating up to 450F degrees in 60 seconds, the Solano Sleekheat450 Professional Flat Iron is going to straighten even the thickest and frizziest hair faster than you’d think.
The hair straightener uses far infrared heat which cuts down the styling time. The tourmaline is going to reduce the flyways, whereas the ceramic plates are going to turn the thick and frizzy hair into silky smooth and shiny strands. The plates are 1in, which is ideal for the medium length hair, but works just fine on all hair lengths. They’re also 4-sided beveled plates which ensures smooth gliding and lower risk for damaging your hair.
Let’s not forget the ionic technology that is going to maintain your hair nice and sleek throughout the entire day.
The 9ft swivel cord doesn’t tangle and helps you maneuver the tool easier, with less fatigue for your arms.
Lightweight, fast, protective of your hair and dependable, the hair straightener is always a good investment on the long run.
Here is our list of pros:
- It heats up to 450F degrees in 60 seconds
- It eliminates the frizz and straightens the thickest hair
- It makes your hair sleek and shiny
- It gives impressive results without damaging your hair
The flaws are anything but major:
- Some find it difficult to hold
- Some expected it to be bigger
Be that as it may, the hair straightener is going to turn the thick and frizz hair into sleek, shiny and smooth hair, without damaging or consuming a lot of your time. Why wouldn’t you want to pay the extra buck for that?
Best straighteners for thin hair
If most people out there worry about the hair straightener about not being able to straighten the hair at all, one with thin hair typically concerns about the hair straightener damaging their strands for good.
13. The risk for the HSI Professional Digital Ceramic Tourmaline Ionic Flat Iron Hair Straightener to do that is almost null (it depends on you too) and that’s because it’s loaded with features that ensure great results with no damage for the thin hair.
The hair straightener comes with 100% True Solid ceramic tourmaline plates and advanced infrared heat technology so that the risk for heat damaging your hair is minor. it straightens your hair, leaving it hydrated and shiny. Not only that your hair is going to appear so sleek and smooth, but the results are going to last for even longer than you’d expect.
The digital LCD temperature control is easy to use and to read and you may adjust the temperature from 240 to 450F.
The ergonomic design of the hair straightener ensures easy use so you may flip and curl your strands without tiring your arms. In order for the styling to run even easier, the hair straightener comes with a 360 swivel cord that doesn’t tangle and allows freedom while maneuvering the tool.
The hair straightener is strong and effective and manages to put under control even the stubbornest types of hair, no frizz whatsoever.
The tool is lightweight and has a good and comfortable grip, feeling pretty good into one’s hand. it comes with dual voltage so you can carefree travel with it, without worrying about not being able to use it.
The hair straightener comes with auto shut off so it lets you take care of other things once you’re done with it. The heat pouch for storage simply completes the list of good things.
Wrapping it up, here are the pros:
- It comes with ceramic tourmaline plates and infrared heat technology
- It includes adjustable heat settings
- It’s lightweight, reliable and easy to use
- It’s great for thin hair and all sorts of hair types too
Don’t make a big deal out of the minor issues:
- A customer with thick and curly hair may want even better performances
- Some think it doesn’t stay hot
All in all, as it’s dependable, fast heating, protective of your hair and capable to straight your hair in no time, the hair straightener still stands out from the crowd and it’s quite an amazing surprise for the buck you’re paying.