Protecting your hair against the damage of heated styling tools, a good heat protectant is going to eliminate frizz and add a nice shine to your hair. it’s a must for your hair care routine, especially if you’re using a heating styling tool on regular basics and you should never skip it.
How to choose the right one for your black hair?
Truth be told, the market sure gives us many and various heat protectants and it may get confusing when shopping, especially if you don’t know much about the hair and the hair care.
One thing it’s sure; when you’re going shopping for a heat protectant, knowing your hair type and what you’re trying to achieve with your heat protectant, besides protection during styling, is going to make the whole process of selection a lot easier.
Some tips to remember
Even if your hair is going to decide on its own what works the best, some general rules do apply and it’s not a bad idea to take a look at them.
If your hair is frizzy and you’re constantly fighting with the flyaway, you’re going to need a heat protectant that smooths out your hair and eliminates the frizz for good. Look for the heat protectants formulated with keratin, which is the main protein in your hair.
When you’re going to the shiny-looking hair, a heat protectant serum may work better than a spray one. You want the serum to coat your hair strands before styling, leading to a glossy and shiny look at the end.
For the customer with black hair that uses heated styling tools on regular basics, a heat protectant that takes the high temperatures is always the best choice. Don’t compromise on the quality and the strength of your heat protectant, especially if you cannot hold back from using the heated styling tools every single day.
At last, if you have colored hair, keep in mind that the market gives you options specially formulated for that type of hair. it’s the same case for the chemically dyed hair, since the chemical process may have damaged it already.
As long as you know your hair type exactly, your hair care routine and how you want your hair to look like, you shouldn’t have any problems finding the right heat protectant. Just get online with your homework done and don’t hesitate to try until you find just the perfect choice for your black strands.
The Top 15 Heat Protectants for Black Hair
1. If there’s anything you shouldn’t complain about the L’Oréal Paris Advanced Hairstyle SLEEK IT Iron Straight Heatspray, the price should be it.
The heat protector is going to protect your hair up to 450 degrees and puts frizz under control. It seals in shine and it’s safe enough to use for all heat tools.
Lightweight, the heat protector gives a nice body and volume to your hair and leaves it silky and shine. It seals in humidity and gives results even on coarse, thick and curly hair.
You should definitely double check the qualities:
- It offers up to 450 F degree heat protection
- It puts frizz under control and seals in moisture
- It works for curly, thick and coarse hair
- It’s lightweight and leaves the hair silky shine
Don’t make a drama out of the minor problems:
- The spray nozzle could be better
- One may feel the heat protector leaves a sticky film on hair
Regardless of the minor issues, the heat protector does protect your hair and eliminates frizz and it’s quite a bang for your buck as well.
2. Going shopping on a tight budget is no fun but you don’t necessarily have to get back home empty handed. It’s a 10 Haircare Miracle Leave-In Product is the kind of product that works without giving you the feel you just payed an arm and a leg for it.
The leave-in product isn’t just going to protect your hair before heat styling, but also it’s going to repair the dry and damaged hair. it reduces the hair breakage and gives your hair a nice shine. It smooths the hair and eliminates the frizz, leaving your hair silky smooth.
You can use it for detangling your hair before you start using your flat iron.
Here’s what we like the most about it:
- It repairs the damaged hair
- It eliminates the split ends and frizz
- It detangles and protects the hair before feat styling
- It smooths the hair and leaves it silky and shiny
The minor problems shouldn’t stand in your way when deciding:
- Some got a tacky feel when using it
- It works better when applied on damp hair
Affordable, great for smoothing the hair and protecting it before your flat iron, the leave-in product is good value for the price.
3. Easy to use and, most importantly, great to use on black hair, the TRESemme Thermal Creations Heat Tamer Protective Spray brings a lot of good things to the table.
The heat protectant isn’t messy at all and leaves your hair softer and silky smooth. It eliminates frizz and makes the split ends go away. You should let it sit a bit before start heat styling your black strands.
Its formula includes vitamin E, C, biotin, niacin amide and so many other ingredients that smooth out the hair, for a silkier look. Lightweight, the spray gives a nice bounce to your hair without the greasy feel.
Our favs are:
- It softens and smooths out the hair
- It eliminates frizz and split ends
- It’s lightweight and easy to use
- It gives a nice bounce to your hair
The cons aren’t major:
- The cap unscrews a bit easy
- Some feel they need to use a lot of it for getting results
However, as it smooths the hair and protects it before heat styling, the heat protectant is a good value for the money anytime.
4. Made with all natural ingredients, the Argan Oil Hair Protector Spray is both dependable and fairly priced, which is more than enough for many.
The heat protector is an effective leave-in conditioner that reduces the risk for your hair to become all brittle and dry. It moisturizes the hair and detangles it, leaving it easier to manage.
Paraben and cruelty free, the hair protector is easy to use and tames the frizz even for the thick and curly black hair.
We really like the heat protector for the following qualities:
- It protects the hair from blow drying, flat ironing and also sun damage
- It detangles the hair
- It moisturizes the hair and protects it from drying
- It eliminates frizz and works for the thick and curly black hair
We’re not going to make a bit fuss out of the small problems:
- It may leave a sticky feel
- Some think it could do a better job when it comes to eliminating the split ends
Reliable for protecting your hair before heat styling and so much more, the heat protector spray isn’t to be missed on, especially if you’re shopping with a thin wallet.
5. Moisturizing and smoothing the hair, the OGX Flat Iron Spray, Ever Straight Brazilian Keratin Therapy comes with an effective combination of avocado oil, coconut oil, keratin proteins and cocoa butter.
The exotic ingredients soften and smooth the hair, leaving a nice radiance to your hair. it moisturizes and protects the hair before heat styling it. A little goes a long way and the heat protectant smells great, giving a nice texture to your hair.
Let’s take another look at the good parts:
- It softens and smooths the hair
- It’s made with exotic ingredients
- It moisturizes and protects the hair before heat styling it
- It has a nice smell
The cons aren’t major at all:
- Some got a sticky feel when using it
- It may give some flakes when using too much
All in all, the heat protectant does a good job as protecting your hair before styling it and leaves a nice smell to your hair too. Why not try it?
6. Protecting and conditioning the hair without adding weight to it, the ArtNaturals Thermal Hair Protector Spray is a great addition to make for your black hair care regimen.
The hair protector is made with natural herbal extracts so it’s good for hydrating and moisturizing the hair before heat styling it. It detangles the thick hair and repairs the damaged and dry hair. it gives your hair back its glow.
The formula includes peach, rosemary, sage, thyme and ginseng, which also explains its amazing smell. The heat protector repairs the brittle, dry and cracked hair, eliminating the split ends and improving the looks of your black strands.
Let’s take a closer look at the good things:
- It’s made with several natural ingredients
- It repairs and protects the damaged, dry and brittle hair
- It gives your hair back its radiance
- It smells amazing
Don’t let the minor issues change your mind:
- It may not work on relaxed hair
- Some think the smell is too strong
All in all, as it protects and repairs your hair, removing split ends and making it all shiny again, the heat protector is a sure choice anytime.
7. The popularity of the HSI PROFESSIONAL Top 5 Heat Hair Protector & Conditioner speaks volume, but the heat protector is a lot more than just a popular choice.
The heat protector is going to prevent damage and revitalize your hair and using it before your flat iron is going to mean so much for your hair’s health and looks. The formula ensures color-safe protection, eliminates frizz, calms the scalp and works as a natural sunscreen as well.
The heat protector is made with extra virgin olive oil, Moroccan argan oil, desert aloe Vera, macadamia nut oil and island coconut oil. It doesn’t contain paraben, sulfate or phosphate and it’s safe to use on colored hair. it has a soft smell and works for thick and curly black hair too.
Here’s what we like about it:
- It prevents the damage and revitalizes the hair
- It moisturizes and strengthens the hair
- It protects against the heat damage
- It’s loaded with natural ingredients
We’re not overwhelmed by the inherent flaws:
- Some expected it to eliminate the frizz a lot better
- It may cause some itchiness on your scalp
Nevertheless, as it’s both affordable and great on so many levels when it comes to the protection and well-being of your hair, the heat protector is a sure “yes” most of the time.
8. Helping your hair get stronger and frizz-free, the Paul Mitchell Hot Off the Press Thermal Protection Spray is one dependable heat protector to try on your black hair.
The formula is based on rice hull extract, creating a lightweight barrier between your black strands and the heat styling too. The wheat protein strengthens your hair and the heat protector reduces the risk for damage and breakage. It ensures a flexible hold for your hair, making it easier to manage and more attractive as well.
Lightweight and with a nice smell, the formula is great even for the fine hair.
Let’s pinpoint the main qualities:
- It’s made with wheat protein and rice hull extract
- It strengthens the hair and protects it from thermal damage
- It makes it easier to style
- It works even on fine hair
The negatives aren’t many nor major:
- Not everyone is impressed with the results
- One may notice the hair getting brittle
As long as you’re focusing on the goods, which are many, the heat protector is a nice addition for your black hair regimen.
9. Cutting the blow-dry time in half, the Kenra Platinum Blow-Dry Spray offers amazing heat protection from damage and breakage on your hair.
The formula is lightweight and manages to soften, smooth and even detangle your hair. it works on color-treated hair and eliminates frizz. It keeps humidity under control and protects your hair up to 428F degrees. Its protection and result last for long time and it’s a solid choice for the medium to coarse hair.
The amazing smell is going to seal the deal for many.
There are some things to highlight as pros:
- The formula works for color-treated hair
- It protects the hair from heat damage
- It softens and smooths the hair
- It eliminates frizz and smells beautiful
It’s no surprise that the formula comes with a twist:
- It may leave a weird film on your hair
- Some expected it to detangle better
All things considered, the blow-dry spray is still one name to write down on your shopping list anytime.
10. Preparing your hair for heat styling, the John Frieda Frizz Ease Heat Defeat Protecting Spray stands out with its effective formula and abilities.
The heat protectant is going to protect your hair from damage when heat styling it, as it blocks humidity and minimize the risk for breakage. The formula includes jojoba oil, green tea leaf, rose hip extract, vitamin A, aloe Vera extract and replenishes your hair, leaving it smoother and moisturized. It seals the black strands and conditions your hair.
It has a nice smell and doesn’t leave a residue. Our list of pros looks like this:
- It protects the hair from damage of heat styling
- It seals in moisture and reduces breakage of hair
- It has a pleasant smell
- Its formula softens and smooths out the hair, eliminating frizz
We’re not concern about the minor issues:
- It’s a tad sticky for some
- You can only spray small sections with it
However, as it’s softening, smoothing and protecting your hair from damage of the heat styling tools, the heat protectant is money well spent any time.
11. Nourishing and protecting your hair before heat styling it, the Briogeo – Rosarco Blow Dry Perfection and Heat Protectant Crème is a nice surprise anytime.
The lightweight heat protectant cream works very well for the dry, chemically-treated or damaged hair. it has a silicone-free formula that puts frizz at ease and improves the shine of your black strands. It offers thermal protection up to 425F degrees.
Made with argan oik, coconut oil and rosehip oil, the heat protectant cream seals in moisture and reduces risk for breakage of hair. It doesn’t contain parabens, phthalates, silicones, artificial dyes, and it’s both gluten-free and cruelty-free.
Let’s review the best things:
- It has an effective formula
- It works for dry, chemically-treated and damaged hair
- It eliminates frizz and seals in moisture
- It’s lightweight and has a pleasant smell
You cannot expect for any heat protector to be perfect so here are the downsides for this one:
- Some got a sticky feel when using it
- It may leave the hair a bit crispy
No matter the minor problems, as it’s effective and protectant, you should definitely put your trust and faith in the heat protectant cream.
12. Especially formulated for the color-treated hair, the Pureology Colour Fanatic Multi-Tasking Hair Beautifier sure impresses many with its benefits for the hair.
Whether you apply it on wet or dry hair, the hair beautifier works great as a leave-in conditioner, adding the moisture your hair needs. It evens out porosity and conditions the hair without weighing it down. It prevents the split ends and breakage of hair. it protects against the heat styling, but also against the environmental damage.
You can definitely use it for detangling your hair or for minimizing dryness of your hair. smoothing out the hair, the hair beautifier leaves your hair silky and frizz-free, ready for the styling.
Let’s go over the good things once again:
- It protects the hair from heat and environmental damage
- It smooths the hair and eliminates the frizz
- It detangles the hair and moisturizes it
- It reduces static and dryness
If you ask us, the inherent flaws are far from being deal breakers:
- It may leave a greasy feel if you’re using too much of it
- One could feel the texture of the hair a bit rough afterwards
Nevertheless, for the impressive list of benefits, the hair beautifier is money well spent for the looks and health of your hair anytime.
13. The CHI Silk Infusion is a leave-in treatment that is enriched with silk. It repairs the damaged hair and gives it the natural proteins it needs. It protects the hair during thermal styling, but also against the environmental damage.
The silk infusion makes your hair stronger and softer. It gives it a healthy shine and makes it easier to handle when styling. It doesn’t build up and smells nice. It works just great for wavy and frizzy black hair.
The short list of pros looks like this:
- It protects the hair against thermal and environmental damage
- It makes the hair stronger and softer at the same time
- It works for the wavy and frizzy hair
- It gives the hair a healthy shine
The cons aren’t something to really worry about:
- Some think the smell is a bit strong
- It could perform better for taming the frizz
Having said that, the Chi Silk Infusion protects your hair and helps it look softer and shinier. Isn’t it enough?
14. Give your hair a luxurious protection before using the heat styling tools with the ORIBE Mystify Restyling Spray.
The restyling spray has a hydrating formula and nourishes your hair as well. It works as a shield for your hair strands and gives them strength before using the heat styling tools.
Dermatologist-tested, the formula doesn’t contain any sulfates, parabens or sodium chloride, so the risk for allergy is minor. It’s both color and keratin treatment safe.
Here’s what we like the most about it:
- It hydrates the hair
- It protects the hair against the thermal damage
- It’s color and keratin treatment safe
- It’s dermatologist-tested
Don’t let the minor cons ruin the spray for you:
- It’s not a cheap heat protector
- Some expected it to contain more natural ingredients
Far from being a lemon, the restyling spray protects your hair from thermal damage in style, which may be enough for many.
15. Formulated on argan oil, ceramides and exclusive silicone complex, the ORIBE Royal Blowout Heat Styling Spray is going to protect your hair from thermal damage.
The blowout mist is going to speed up the dry time, but also it’s going to repair the split ends and smooth out your hair. It’s a lightweight heat protector that restores the natural lipid content, leaving your hair brighter and softer. It gives your hair a healthy shine and a pleasant smell as well.
We sure like the following qualities:
- The blowout mist is made with argan oil, silicone complex and ceramides
- It protects the hair from thermal damage
- It speeds up the dry time
- It eliminates frizz and smooths out the hair
There’s always place for improvement and this one is no exception:
- The packaging could be better
- It may not last for as long as you’d want
The price may be a deal breaker for some, but this doesn’t make the heat protector less efficient or dependable for protecting and improving the looks of your black strands.