Taking good care of the black hair is no easy job. Apart from its beautiful appearance, you need to know how to take good care of it.
The situation gets a lot more complicated when we’re talking about a thick and curly black hair. prone to drying, the curly and thick black hair is a lot more to handle and a simple brush or an ordinary shampoo isn’t going to cut it.
Why use a curl kit?
You may perfectly start your hair care regimen and try various products for your hair. Get online and see which kind of shampoo or conditioner may work the best for you. However, it’s only a matter of time until you’re going to find yourself in a pickle as finding hair care products that work together isn’t as easy as you thought it’s going to be.
A curl kit is going to be a better option as it’s going to give you just the right amount of moisture that you need for your tight black curls. It’s supposed to include the right products that offer you the best style management, with lower risk for frizz or flyaway. It’s also able to put shrinkage under control, to moisture and condition your hair, leaving your black curls softer, smoother and better appearance.
What’s inside a curl kit?
The variety of curl kits out there is quite impressive and each brand has its place on the market. Some products are essential for a curl kit for black kit and you should pay attention when buying.
A leave-in conditioner, a good shampoo for the black hair, a styling cream and a hair oil are some popular choices for a curl kit.
What you’re trying to achieve with your curl kit is the most important matter when buying. Some are going to enhance their curls, whereas some may want to put their curls completely under control. As long as you know exactly what you’re trying to get, you shouldn’t have any problems finding the right curl kit for your black hair.
Top 15 Curl Kits for Black Hair
1. When you’re rather new to the whole taking care of your black curls thing, the Cantu 4 Piece Shea Butter for Natural Hair Curl Care Starter Kit is just the right kit for you.
The kit includes Cantu Sulfate Free Cleansing Cream shampoo that is going to cleanse your curls, leaving them healthier and less prone to breakage. The Cantu Sulfate free Hydrating Cream conditioner is going to moisturize efficiently your curls, giving them the hydration that they need. You’re going to get in control over your black curls with the Cantu Moisturizing Curl Activator cream. The frizz is gone and the curls get a nice bounce when using the cream. Use the Cantu Coconut Oil Shine &Hold Mist for a long lasting shine and moisture for your curls.
The products smell nice and don’t leave a sticky feel on your curls.
Here’s what we like the most about them:
- The products are sulfate-free
- They cleanse, hydrate and moisturize the curls
- They smell so nice
- It’s a great starter kit
The inherent flaws don’t undermine its overall value:
- One may get an oily feel
- Some may feel the oil weighs down the curls
Beggars cannot be choosers and for a low price you get a reliable and easy to use starter kit for your black curls.
2. The moist collection sample pack Tgin (Thank God It’s Natural) Moist Collection, Sample Pack for Natural Hair includes 4 products that are going to moisturize and soften your hair.
The sulfate-free shampoo is made with coconut oil, cleansing very gentle your curls. The triple moisture replenishing conditioner is formulated with jojoba oil, argan oil and shea butter, leaving your hair moisturized and hydrated.
The hair mask is going to deeply condition your curls and the honey within the formula softens your black curls. As for the butter cream daily moisturizer, the cocoa butter, shea butter and vitamins inside the formula explain its ability to leave your curls healthier and more manageable.
The curl kit is great for the dry and prone to breakage hair, which black curly hair typically is.
Let’s go briefly over the main pros:
- The kit includes a shampoo, conditioner, hair mask and daily moisturizer
- The shampoo lathers well and cleanses the hair
- The conditioner moisturizes and hydrates the dry hair
- The formulas are made with shea butter, argan oil and jojoba oil
The negatives aren’t many:
- Not everyone goes for the smell
- The butter cream may weigh down the curls
Having said that, the curl kit is a great addition for the dry black curls and you should try it sometime.
3. If you’re looking for a curl kit to cleanse, condition and help you style better your black curls, the DevaCurl Kit for All Curl Kind in one good kit to try.
The curl kit includes moisturizing award winning products that are 100% paraben, silicone and sulfate free. The products work for all curl types and give great results.
The kit includes a cleanser that is made with grapeseed oil and peppermint, cleansing the hair without stripping away its natural oils. The creamy conditioner from the kit is made with nourishing botanicals and olive oil, hydrating and softening the curls. The styling cream inside the kit is also botanically-infused, giving a nice body and bounce to your curls. As for the light defining gel, it’s made with tapioca starch and jojoba, helping you control the curls and get a better texture to your hair.
A little goes a long way and the products have a clean and fresh smell.
Let’s take a closer look at the good things:
- The kit is 100% paraben, sulfate and silicone free
- The kit works for all types of curls
- It cleanses, moisturizes and hydrates the curls
- It gives nice definition, body and bounce to your black curls
The minor issues are no deal breakers:
- Some find it a bit drying
- One may like more definition for their curls
Regardless of the minor downsides, the curl kit still stands as money well spent any given day.
4. When you’re willing to try something new for your curls, but you don’t feel ready to commit to just one brand, don’t sit on the fence and go ahead and try the Oyin Handmade 5-Piece Snack Pack – Hair.
The pack is great and everything inside is sized 2 ounces, giving you the chance to take it with you when travelling and trying it for more than one time. The kit includes Honey Hemp conditioner, Greg Juice leave-in spray, but also Shine&Define coaxing serum and Hair Dew creamy leave-in. the 1oz Mini Burnt Sugar pomade is great for that final touch on your curls.
The products are well made and smell so very nice. They’re made with natural oils and fragrances and are cost effective.
Here are the best parts about the kit:
- The products are made with natural oils and fragrances
- They all smell very nice
- They’re great for travelling
- They hydrate, smooth and soften your curls
We’re not making a drama out of the minor problems:
- The conditioner is on the heavy side
- Some may not see it as cost effective
Very easy to take when travelling, the curl kit is going to give you the chance to get a glimpse on how your curls could look like on regular basics.
5. Able to hydrate and nourish the black curls, the SheaMoisture Fruit Fusion Coconut Water Weightless Combo is going to cleanse, hydrate and give your curls a nice bounce without weighing it down.
The shampoo is sulfate free and it cleanses and hydrates your hair in a gentle way. The cream is made with certified organic and natural fruit extracts, energizing and nourishing your curls. The hair gets a healthy shine and a soft touch feel.
The lightweight masque smooths out and hydrates your hair, reducing frizz and eliminating split ends. It makes your hair easier to manage and to style.
Dragon fruit, lychee berry, and green apple extract are just some of the ingredients within the formulas, improving your hair’s health and appearance.
The smell is divine and the curl kit is one solid choice to try.
Here’s what we like the most about it:
- The curl kit includes shampoo, conditioner and masque
- The products are made with natural ingredients
- It’s great to give a healthy shine to your curls
- It moisturizes and hydrates the black curls, leaving a great smell
We’re not concern with the minor issues:
- The masque is a tad thinner than expected
- Not everyone likes the shampoo
As it’s reliable for hydrating and eliminate dullness from your black curls, you should definitely try the curl kit.
6. If there’s just one thing to highlight about the SheaMoisture 1 count Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Shine Kit the amazing smell is going to be that one thing, for sure.
The kit includes several products that are going to help you get in control over your black curls. You get a shampoo that is going to give your hair a healthy shine, a smoothie that is going to enhance your curls, but also a mist that moisturizes and gives a nice hold and shine to your curls too. Let’s not forget to mention the style milk that makes your hair easier to manage for styling.
Made with coconut oil, sweet hibiscus and shea butter, each of the products smells amazing and help you get rid of the frizz and flyaway, for a nicer appearance.
Let’s take a closer look at the pros:
- The kit includes 4 products
- The smell is amazing for all of them
- They eliminate frizz and flyaways
- The curls are easier to style and look better
Don’t let the minor issues stand in your way when buying:
- Some think the recipients are smaller than expected
- One would like to get some instructions about how to use them
All in all, for a good price, you get a curl kit that is easy to travel with and gives your curls a nicer overall appearance.
7. Great for the natural black curly hair, the Shea Moisture Strengthen Grow & Restore Combo Bundle is an affordable and valid option for many out there.
The kit includes a shampoo, a leave-in conditioner, a conditioner and a treatment masque. The Shea moisture Castor oil shampoo is going to clean and moisturize your hair, whereas the strengthening conditioner is going to eliminate tangles from your hair and moisturize your hair, without adding any weight to your curls.
Each of the products is certified organic and natural and their formula doesn’t include paraben nor sulfates. They nourish the scalp and helps the damage hair get better again.
Our favs about this curl kit:
- It’s made with natural and organic ingredients
- The products revive and moisturize the black curls
- They help the damaged hair look better and healthier again
- It’s a great value for the money
Don’t mind the minor problems:
- The leave-in conditioner may leave a greasy feel
- The conditioner could use a pump
Regardless of the minor issues, for the organic and effective formula, the kit is one reliable choice for the black curls.
8. For those of you who are trying to keep their kids curls nice and tamed, the Fairy Tales CURLY Q Hydrating Shampoo, Conditioner, & Styling Spray Gel TRIO Set makes it as a fun and dependable choice anytime.
The kit includes a shampoo that is going to hydrate and cleanse the curls, a conditioner that moisturizes and softens the curls, and a styling spray gel that is going to help you better manage the stubborn black curls. As for the sleek compact mirror inside the kit, it’s just a bonus that all kids are going to like.
The formulas include natural quinoa, rice amino acids, aloe Vera and murumuru butter. The products have no paraben, sulphate or phthalate. The smell is a vibrant pear basil scent that many are going to like.
Let’s double check the good things:
- The kit includes a shampoo, conditioner and styling spray gel
- The formulas have no paraben, sulfate or phthalates
- The shampoo cleanses and hydrates the curls
- The conditioner softens the curls and the spray gel helps with styling
Don’t let the minor downsides change your mind:
- Not everyone goes for the smell
- You only need to use a bit of the spray gel so that it doesn’t build up
As the good outweighs the bad, the curl kit makes it as a dependable and fun way to take care of the little one’s black curls.
9. Able to cleanse, condition and detangle your black curls, the Naturalicious Hello Gorgeous Hair Care System for Tight Curls is a wise investment to make for your black curls.
The curl kit includes a Moroccan Rhassoul Clay that cleanses and conditions your hair, giving you the chance to detangle it a lot easier. It also detoxifies your hair strands, minimizing shrinkage and giving more length to your curls.
The deep hydrating moisture is going to reduce the risk for breakage, helping your hair get stronger, longer and healthier. The hot oil treatment is going to eliminate frizz and dryness, improving the definition of your curls.
None of the products leave an unpleasant greasy or oily feel on your hair. The hair remains soft and smooth and the curls get better definition. On top of everything else, everything is easy to use and gives you good speed while taking care of your curls.
Let’s have a closer look at the good parts about the curl kit:
- The curl clay cleanses and conditions your curls
- It makes the curls easier to detangle and improves their definition
- It reduces shrinkage and gives more length to your curls
- It doesn’t leave a greasy nor gooey feel on your curls
We’re not badly impressed with the inherent flaws:
- It’s a tad messy
- It’s not quite a cheap option
Even if some may consider the price quite a pet peeve for the curl kit, if you’re determined to get better definition for your curls, but also a good cleansing and conditioning, you shouldn’t back down from getting it next time when you’re shopping.
10. Addressing the curly and coily hair, the Jane Carter Curls to GO Curl Drench Cleansing Co Wash 16oz & Untangle Me is a great investment to make for your black curls.
The kit is going to hydrate, de-detangle and eliminate frizz from your curls for good. The formula is sulfate-free and cleanses and conditions the curls, helping them look better defined.
The shampoo is going to cleanse and hydrate your hair, whereas the conditions is going to moisturize efficiently the black curls. Each of the products inside the kit is going to play its part into helping your hair look healthier, shinier and frizz-free.
The shea butter, sage, rosemary, aloe Vera, macadamia oil, nettle and rosemary are all ingredients of the products, explaining their performance and abilities.
The products give your curls a healthy shine and eliminate frizz.
Let’s list the best parts:
- The curl kit is great for the very curly and coily hair
- The formulas include great natural ingredients
- The products cleanse, hydrate and moisturize the hair
- It leaves the hair healthier, shinier and with no frizz
The cons aren’t major:
- It’s not the cheapest option out there
- It may be a bit overwhelming for someone new to this
Nevertheless, as it takes care of your black curls from root to the tips of your hair, you should definitely splurge your hair with it as soon as you can.
11. The Moroccan Oil Curl Enhancing Shampoo & Conditioner 8.5oz & Curl Re-Energizing Spray is one curl kit that you shouldn’t skip on when shopping.
The kit includes a shampoo that is formulated with argan oil. The shampoo enhances your curls and gives them make their elasticity, leaving the hair shinier and easier to style.
The conditioner boosts the curls, whereas the argan oil within the formula detangles and helps you get some control over your curls. As for the curl refresher in the kit, its formula includes not only argan oil, but also aloe leaf juice and green tea. This is why the curl refresher gives your curls a nice bounce and a fresher feel.
Eliminating frizz and smoothing your curls, the whole curl kit is a sure buy anytime.
Let’s take a quick look at the good parts:
- The kit includes a shampoo, a conditioner and a curl refresher
- The shampoo cleanses and smooths your hair
- The conditioner detangles and eliminates frizz
- The curl refresher gives your curls a nice bounce
The downsides are important when you want to have the full picture:
- It’s not a low budget option
- Some may want to use a lot more than 3 products for their curls
As long as you’re focusing on the goods, which are so many, you should definitely put your money at stake with this curl kit.
12. If you’re willing to pay the high dollar for a professional grade curl kit for your black curls, don’t hesitate and take the plunge with the Complete Curly Hair Products Set by Royal Locks.
The shampoo is going to cleanse and hydrate your curls, whereas the best-selling Curly Hair Cream Gel Hybrid is going to give a nice bounce to your curls, moisturizing them efficiently. The cream gel doesn’t leave a crunch feel, but gives your curls a firm and frizz free appearance.
The Dream Cream addresses the thicker curls and the Moroccan argan oil formula hydrates and moisturizes them very well. If you like to apply a hair care product overnight, this one is good to go with.
The Party Curl Cocktails is going to eliminate frizz and give a fresher look on your curls.
The shampoo and conditioner are paraben and sulfate free and the fresh scent isn’t overpowering. The formula is safe to use on permed, grey, highlighted and color treated hair and it’s enriched with keratin for repairing the damaged hair.
We’ve shorted the pros to the following:
- The system is a professional grade option for the curly black hair
- The shampoo and conditioner are paraben and sulfate free
- The formula works for color treated, permed, highlighted and grey hair as well
- The formula hydrates, softens the hair and gives them a better appearance
The minor issues shouldn’t stand in your way when deciding:
- The spray gives a slipper sheen
- The smell is botanical, but not very strong
Having said that, the curl kit is one solid option for your curls, especially if you’re willing to pay the extra buck.