- 1 Sugar & Fluff’s Review of the e.l.f Foundation Serum
Sugar & Fluff’s Review of the e.l.f Foundation Serum
As much as we’d love the sun, wearing sunscreen for protecting our skin is essential as we’re already spending a lot of money already for fighting the aging signs of skin.
Wearing makeup and sunscreen altogether gets a bit more challenging as you don’t want to have a cakey look when you’re done. A foundation serum that acts like a foundation and also gives you some protection against the sun does look like a great idea.
Who is e.l.f. Cosmetics? What’s the story with e.l.f Foundation Serum?
The international cosmetic brand is based in New York City and has been around since 2004. It offers a great variety of skin care products, bath products and mineral-based makeup. The bronzers, lipsticks, eyeliners, brushes, mascara and the various professional makeup tools from e.l.f. Cosmetics aren’t just popular and reliable, but also budget-friendly for most.
e.l.f. Cosmetics gives us 100% cruelty-free products and it’s an avid fan of PETA’s no fur campaign.
One of its reliable and effective cosmetic products, the e.l.f Foundation Serum stands out with its lightweight and silky formula that gives your skin a healthy glow. The serum foundation presents a broad spectrum UVA/UVB SPF25 formula which doesn’t just revitalize color on your skin, but also leaves a healthy shine behind. The luminous finish improves suppleness on skin, while reducing the visibility of pores and fine lines, for just the right coverage. Formulated on multiple ingredients that are well known for their benefits on skin, the serum foundation is the choice of the tight budget, without compromising on the quality and performance.
What are the ingredients within the formula?
The serum foundation is made with numerous ingredients that explain the ability to give a nice coverage and to protect against sun’s UVs at the same time.
Let’s take a closer look at some of the most important ingredients so that you get the whole idea behind the serum’s performance:
- Punica granatum seed oil– brings comfort in various skin conditions such as psoriasis, eczema and vitiligo. It reduces inflammation and keeps acne under control.
- Grape seed oil-protects the skin from the sun’s UV’s as it’s an efficient antioxidant. It gives your skin a younger appearance and addresses melasma.
- Retinyl palmitate-is the ester of palmitic acid and retinol. It gives the skin a healthier and younger tonus, rejuvenating the skin. It improves the skin’s texture and leaves a nice radiance to it. It strengthens the skin and repairs the damaged skin too.
- Vitamin E-it diminishes the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines. It brightens the dark spots and sooths the irritated and dry skin.
- Vitamin C- it reduces the signs of aging and smooths out the age spots. It makes wrinkles less noticeable and gives the skin a healthy glow.
- Lycium Barbarum Fruit Extract (goji berry)-is a common ingredient for the cosmetics and beauty products as it has amazing antioxidant abilities. It’s loaded with iron, zinc, potassium, selenium, calcium, Vitamin B and C. It restores the skin and minimizes risk of oxidation in skin. It’s a great anti-aging ingredient.
- Zinc oxide-it’s one of the most popular ingredients that reduces the risk for sunburns. It shrinks pores and keeps acne at bay. It brings comfort to skin in case of psoriasis and rosacea. It sooths in eczema and cold sires. It makes melasma more difficult to notices and heals a damaged skin. It protects the skin against sun’s UVs.
How does it feel when using the serum? What’s to keep in mind for the right usage?
The serum comes with a silver pump and a clear acrylic cap. The body of the tube (most of it, anyways), is a yellowish beige and the instructions/warnings are on the back. All ingredients are listed, which is always a good thing. The pump and tube have a solid feel to it and the cap is easy to remove (almost too easy). The pump gives you just the right amount for an application.
You should start with a thorough cleansing of your skin. e.l.f. Skincare Starter Kit is a great option to write down on your shopping list as it includes several cosmetic products to cover these steps from a proper skin care regimen.
Once your skin is cleansed and dry, you should give the foundation serum a good shake. Pump a few times so that you have enough serum. Apply only a small amount in the center of your cheeks, chin and forehead. It’s important that you work the serum outwards, using your fingers or a sponge/blending brush for effective blending into your skin.
The serum has a lightweight consistency and layers very well. It feels light and gives a pretty semi-matte finish. It dries fats and doesn’t sting your eyes. It gives a lot of slip and has a nice sheer to it. It covers just great the minor imperfections of the skin and the color match is pretty impressive for the price.
If you’re going for a fuller coverage, you may mix it with the Flawless Finish Foundation. When you’re also using a face primer, give it a go with the e.l.f. Mineral Infused Face Primer.
What are the ups and downs of the serum?
From the low price to the good coverage, the serum foundation does bring a lot of good things to the table so here are our pros:
- It covers the small imperfections
- It has a lightweight consistency and layers very well
- It presents a nice broad spectrum with SPF25
- It’s made with numerous ingredients that are good for the skin
- It diminishes the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
- It’s a tinted moisturizer
- It has a semi-matte finish and it’s quite sheer
- It dries fast and doesn’t sting your eyes
- It’s a good value for the price
The minor issues aren’t deal breakers, but the serum does have its limitations:
- Some feel it’s a bit too watery
- If you’re going for a strong coverage, the serum isn’t the one for that
- Its smell is a bit strong and chemical, according to some.
Do we have a winner or not?
Reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, the serum foundation covers the minor imperfections and protects the skin from the sun’s UVs. It’s lightweight and comes with great matching colors and it does all of that without breaking the bank. What’s not to like?
Recent reviews on Sugar & Fluff Beauty: the RoC Deep Wrinkle Serum, the Neutrogena Hydro Boost Serum, the Rodan and Fields Redefine Night Renewing Serum, the Innisfree Green Tea Serum, the Chanel Le Lift Serum Review.