Able to get you out of the crowd, highlights are a great way to get rid of a dull and boring appearance. you can go with highlights that accentuate your black curls or add some texture, dimension and depth.
Choosing the right type of highlights isn’t though as easy as one may think as there are many options out there and it’s difficult to imagine which one is going to work the best for you.
What color highlights work best for the black hair?
even it may seem impossible for many, the color options for highlights on your black hair are so many and it’s entirely up to you to decide which message you’re going to give with your new look.
From the flame red, bright platinum, purple and pink to the nice shades of gold and copper, the range of colors may become intimidating, especially if you’re an entry level when it comes to coloring your hair at home.
For quite some time now, all-ombre has been a winner option for the black hair and people seem not to be bored with it just yet. If you’re determined to be anything but subtle, red highlights are going to make you help pop out in any crowd. After all, red is the rarest natural hair color and quite a popular shade in the hair salons. Adding some red stripes, streaks or even trying a balayage color accents is going to give you that bold style that you’ve been looking for some time now. As long as you’re matching the red highlights with your skin tone, you shouldn’t hesitate trying it.
If you’re going for a sophisticated, yet creative appearance, some blue highlights are going to make you look all modern. Additionally, navy blue highlights may even work for your job as many corporates don’t allow this kind of hair style.
Take the whole process to another level by adding some burgundy or purple highlights on your black hair. it’s going to spice up your life, for sure.
Platinum blonde is great for a rough look, whereas a sandy blonde it going to be amazing for a softer appearance. Don’t forget about the silver highlights that add a bit of magic to any look.
When you never tried highlights on your hair and you’re still sitting on the fence about it, it’s not a bad idea to try some Hair Chalk before. Not only it’s not permanent, but it’s also helpful for figuring out which color fits you the best. Just keep in mind to also pick the colors that match with your favorite outfits. Last thing you want when you’re done with your highlights is to change your wardrobe because of them.
13 Highlight Suggestions for Black Hair
1. When you feel it’s too early to go with some permanent highlights, go ahead and take a leap of faith with some temporary highlights. Better yet, go royal and try something sparkly like the AMA(TM) Professional Instant Hair Dye Mascara Temporary Non-toxic Hair Color Pastel Stick Highlights.
The color stick is non-toxic so it’s not going to harm your hair or skin. The color is temporary and looks great until you wash it out. It’s very easy to apply it and rinses nice and easy. It may even hold up to two days on your hair.
It’s a great gift for your friend. Additionally, it’s small and compact so you can practically take it everywhere you need.
Let’s go over the good things once again:
- It’s non-toxic
- It’s very easy to apply and to wash it out
- It’s very easy to carry it with you
- It makes a great gift
The downsides aren’t many:
- It doesn’t provide much coverage
- The wand pulls a bit
Giving you some temporary and colorful highlights, the color stick isn’t just easy to use, but also a great bang for your buck.
2. For all the brave ones out there who don’t just want to try some highlights on their black hair, but also want to go big, the Adore Creative Image Hair Color #86 Raspberry Twist is one affordable and valid option to try.
Alcohol free, the hair dye is going to give you some vibrant and colorful highlights in no time. The formula doesn’t contain peroxide nor ammonia so the damage to your hair is minor. It leaves your hair sensual and shiny as well. The color lasts for a good amount of time and you don’t need additions for the hair dye. The color is beautiful and the hair dye is easy to apply.
Here is the list of good things:
- The formula is gentle and not damaging
- You don’t need any additions for it
- The color is vibrant and lasts
- It leaves the hair soft and shiny
We’re not amazed by the inherent flaws:
- The formula is a bit watery
- You shouldn’t expect the hair dye to work as a pigment
Beggars can’t be choosers and, for the money you pay, you should focus on the good side: a hair dye that gives radiant and colorful highlights on your black hair easier than expected.
Sitting on the fence about trying some highlights or not? Are you willing to try them but you’re not ready to commit for some permanent results? If that’s the case with you, the temporary highlights are just the right choice.
3. The Professional Temporary Hair Color Highlights & Streaks Touch-up are going to give you some temporary, yet lovely looking highlights. The results last up to 2 days and it’s not only easy to apply the dye, but also very easy to wash it out.
The temporary hair color touch-up is non-toxic and 100% eco natural. You get to choose from 12 colors that give you subtle and elegant details for your hair style. The hair dye doesn’t stain your clothes and doesn’t transfer that easily either. It has a pleasant and subtle smell and gives dramatic effect on black hair.
Let’s highlight our favs:
- It’s easy to use and to wash out
- The hair color is subtle and lasts up to 2 days
- It doesn’t transfer easy and doesn’t stain the clothes
- You may choose from 12 colors that are rather subtle, yet effective
The downsides are important for completing the picture:
- The wand could be better
- It’s better to use gloves when applying it
All in all, the hair color touch-up is a lovely, subtle and non-toxic way to create some dramatic highlights on your black hair.
4. Don’t be afraid to make yourself pop with some purple highlights on your black hair. The Jerome Russell Punky Hair Color Crème, Purple is semi-permanent hair dye, but it’s worth to try it even for a short amount of time.
The hair dye gives results on bleached and chemically-treated hair. The highlights are simply brilliant on black hair.
The grape smell is subtle and amazing and the conditioning cream leaves your hair softer and smoother. Its formula is based on vegetables so it’s gentle on all hair types.
We’ve shorted the pros to the following:
- It has an amazing grape smell
- It comes ready to use
- The conditioning cream softens and smooths out the hair
- The color is brilliant
Don’t back down over some minor issues:
- You need to bleach your hair first for better results
- The results aren’t permanent
Even if the hair dye isn’t all roses and rainbows, you should still try it for some purple highlights on your black hair.
5. When you’re not only looking for some highlights for your black hair, but also for colorful and playful look for your hair, the Punky Colour Turquoise 3.5 Ounce Jar is one fun option to try.
Not only the hair color dye is semi-permanent, but it also looks amazing on chemically-treated and bleached hair. It also gives a radiant highlight effect on black hair and its use is no brainer.
The color is going to fade out with each shampoo, but it may still last up to 40 washes. If you’re going for the most vibrant color, it’s better to bleach and not condition your hair first. Some also pre-rinse the hair with vinegar for more intense color.
Let’s take a quick look at the good things:
- It’s a semi-permanent conditioning hair color
- It creates colorful highlights, without damaging the hair
- It lasts for a good amount of time
- It’s easy to use
Don’t let the small problems change your mind:
- It doesn’t come with a brush for application
- Some would have liked the results to be permanent
It goes without saying that, for a fair price, you get the chance to try a fun and playful color for your highlights in a very easy way.
6. Ensuring incredible shine and radiant hair color that doesn’t fade away easy, the L’Oréal Paris Superior Preference Color Care System is a keeper when you want to try some highlights on your black hair.
The permanent hair dye comes in 50 colors so you can easily decide which one is going to look nice in your hair. the Fade-Defying color and Shine System matches just fine with the Care Supreme Conditioning treatment. You should definitely try it for some silver highlights.
The hair dye washes out nice and easy and gives lots of shine. It doesn’t stain your skin and the hair loss is minor.
Here’s what we like the most about it:
- It gives great silver highlights
- The hair loss is minor afterwards
- It gives radiant and durable hair color
- It doesn’t stain your skin
The downsides are far from bothering us:
- The formula is a bit drippy
- The smell is on the chemical side
All in all, the hair dye gives nicely colored highlights and plenty of colors to choose from.
7. On the off chance highlighting your black hair means to you just giving it a subtle blue shade, let’s say, you shouldn’t look any farther and try the Manic Panic After Midnight Blue Hair Dye Color.
Even if the hair dye is going to give a nice and subtle blue color to your highlights, you’re going to see the color only in the sunlight. Therefore, you may want to bleach first in order to enjoy better results.
The formula is gentle and conditioning, so your hair is going to look and feel soft and not-damaged afterwards. The hair dye is vegan and Ppd free and it has never been tested on animals.
The color isn’t going to fade away fast and the color looks quite nice.
What we really like about the hair dye:
- The formula is gentle and doesn’t damage the hair
- It leaves the hair soft and well-conditioned
- It comes ready to use
- The color looks great and it’s subtle
The downsides are nothing to worry about:
- It may stain your clothes
- You need to be patient and let it work for a while
Regardless of the minor downsides, the hair dye is going to help you get the blue and subtle highlights that you may even take at work.
8. For those of you out there who are determined to get some highlights in a vegan way, the Arctic Fox 100% Vegan Aquamarine Semi Permanent Hair Dye Color i s a solid and effective choice to keep in mind.
The hair dye doesn’t contain any harmful chemicals and doesn’t damage your hair. It’s made with vegan ingredients and no animal by-products. It’s a gentle hair dye that is good for the frequent use, conditioning the hair altogether.
The color is long lasting and it’s going to fade away with washing. The scent is sweet and subtle and the hair dye doesn’t drip, ensuring easy and clean use.
Let’s list our favorite parts about it:
- The hair dye is made with vegan and no animal by-products
- It gives semi-permanent results
- The color is vibrant and nice
- The hair dye has a pleasant and subtle smell
The downsides aren’t major:
- You may need gloves for application
- It doesn’t condition as expected
All things considered, the hair dye is going to give you the semi-permanent and vibrantly colored highlights that you were looking for a long time.
9. Are you getting ready for your kid’s party and don’t know how to make it all festive? Try some temporary hair chalk for your kid’s black hair or even for yourself. The Maydear Temporary Hair Chalk Comb-Non Toxic Washable Hair Color Comb for Hair Dye-Safe for Kids for Party Cosplay DIY is quite a good choice and you get to choose one of the 6 vibrant colors.
The hair chalk is fairly easy to apply and has a unique design with hair chalk firmly fixed with combs. The use is clean and the color doesn’t transfer nor stains your clothes. It’s also very easy to wash it out when you’re done.
The hair chalk is non-allergenic and water-soluble and it’s made with FDA approved ingredients.
Let’s list our favs:
- The hair chalk is easy to apply
- You get to choose from 6 vibrant colors
- It’s not messy to use it and the color doesn’t transfer
- It’s easy to wash it out
Don’t worry about some minor flaws:
- It’s not refillable
- It doesn’t handle sweat as it’s water-soluble
Nevertheless, as it’s easy to use and gives a colorful vibe to your black hair for a fun party at work, the hair chalk is a fun option for your temporary highlights.
10. Fast and easy to apply, the L’Oréal Paris Couleur Experte Hair Color + Hair Highlights, Light Ash Brown – French Éclair is going to create some nice highlights on your black hair.
The set includes all over color in highlight in one. The kit is great to use on long hair and doesn’t have a damaging formula. It gives results on grey and thick hair and it smells pretty nice too. The color is accurate and doesn’t fade away fast.
We do like some things:
- It’s an all over color and highlights in one set
- A little goes a long way
- It’s not a damaging formula
- It smells nice and the color is durable
The minor issues don’t worry us much:
- Some think it’s not enough amount for a single use
- It may give a weird red shade in some situations
Nevertheless, the set is great to use for giving your black hair an interesting look with some nice highlights.
11. If you’re looking to try some blonde highlights on your black, you should give it a try with the L’Oréal Paris Feria Permanent Hair Color, C100 Star Lights Extreme.
The popularity of the permanent hair color speaks volume and the DYE sure brings plenty of good things to the table. Its formula works without damaging your hair and gives a nice color. The color doesn’t get dull nor fades away easy. It’s a multi-faceted shimmering color that looks amazing in your black hair.
The hair DYE doesn’t have a bad smell and presents a creamy consistency. It’s easy to apply and the directions are very easy to follow. It doesn’t leave your hair knotted and lightens the hair so nicely.
The list of pros looks like this:
- The hair DYE is easy to apply
- It has a creamy consistency
- It doesn’t damage the hair
- It gives multi-faceted shimmering color for your highlights
The cons aren’t major:
- Some think it could blend better
- It doesn’t come with an application brush
All things considered, the hair DYE is going to give you some lovely blonde highlights on your black hair strands.
12. For the customer that knows its job, a dependable choice for highlighting the black hair is the Garnier Hair Color Nutrisse Nourishing Crème, H2 Golden Blonde.
The hair nourishing cream is made with avocado, olive and shea oil, which is why it’s conditioning and softening the black hair too.
The hair color cream comes with an ampoule of grapeseed fruit oil that is going to nourish the hair. The permanent hair dye ensues a radiant and beautiful color that is going to last several washes.
If you’re not sure about the golden blonde, you can try one of the 45 nourishing shades instead. The hair color doesn’t transfer much and doesn’t have an overpowering smell either. It doesn’t dry out the hair and you need bleaching for better results.
Here’s what we like the most about it:
- It doesn’t have a strong smell
- It nourishes and conditions the hair
- It doesn’t transfer much
- It doesn’t dry out your hair
The downsides shouldn’t make you give up on it:
- The grey coverage could be improved
- Some may not get impressive results
Affordable and nourishing, the permanent hair dye isn’t just going to create some interesting golden blonde highlights, but it’s also going to take good care of your hair too.
13. Nothing says “girlie and fun” better than some pink highlights in your black hair. Having said that, if that’s the vibe you’re looking for, you should definitely give it a try with Lime Crime Unicorn Hair Bubblegum Rose.
The semi-permanent color is going to give you the vibrant rainbow to your black hair. It gives an adorable warm pink twist to your black strands, while leaving an amazing sweet strawberry scent behind.
As long as your hair is clean and unconditioned, you shouldn’t have any problems using the hair dye. It comes ready to use and you don’t need a developer for it. However, for best results, you may want to use bleach for your black hair.
Here are the most important pros about it:
- It comes ready to use
- It gives vibrant and pretty pink color
- It has an amazing smell
- It leaves the hair soft and doesn’t damage it
The flaws aren’t major:
- It may stain a bit
- Some expected the color to be more vibrant
On the off chance you’re not going to be ecstatic with the results, the hair dye is still going to give a nice and pretty pink color on your highlights.