Truth be told, the oily skin is quite the blessing in disguise for many reasons. Not only the oily skin is more resilient, and less prone to sensitivity, but it also better protected from the aging process. From the outer side, the oily skin is quite the ideal skin type, especially if you’re constantly fighting with dry or irritated skin (like a sensitive skin is).
However, keep in mind that the oily skin does have its very own set of problems that may as be as important as any other’s skin type. The excess natural sebum is one major issues and the cosmetic industry is giving us the best solution: the serums.
- The Top 3 Serums for Oily Skin
- Best Face Serum for Oily Skin
- Best Anti-Aging Serum for Oily Skin
- Best Serum for Oily Acne Prone Skin
- Best Vitamin C Serum for Oily Skin
- Best Night Serum for Oily Skin
- Best Hydrating Serum for Oily Skin
What are serums anyway?
Serums are the way to go for the oily skin as their formulas are containing water-based actives and stronger ingredients. A regular moisturizer may include oil, water and several ingredients that bind them together.
They are thinner than moisturizers and go deeper into your skin, working from the deeper levels of your skin. The ingredients are stronger and the serums are able to give impressive results even sooner than expected.
Why use serums on oily skin?
Apart from the special formula, a serum is typically lightweight and soaks right into the skin, going into the deeper levels of the skin. Many serums out there are highly hydrating which is what an oily skin may need (excess oil doesn’t mean your oily skin is hydrated at all).
Serums are loaded with concentrated actives and they include a higher portion of actives than regular moisturizers do. They provide ingredients that engage biologically as they go deeper into the skin.
Which are the best serums for the oily skin?
The variety for the oily skin is great, but there are two water-based serums that stand out: the vitamin C serums and the vitamin B3 serums (aka niacin amide serums).
Any combination of these vitamins is going to work for your oily skin, helping it look and feel better and younger, removing the excess sebum that you’ve always fighting against.
The Top 3 Serums for Oily Skin
1. Soft and able to protect the oily skin from outer stressors, the Tree of Life Vitamin C serum is a great option, especially if you’re going shopping on a tight budget. The serum is formulated on Vitamin C, so it’s going to lessen the visibility of fine lines and age spots, leaving your skin softer and fresher. It reduces the damage of sun on skin and slows down the aging of skin.
The serum is 72% organic and lessens the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. The list of ingredients also includes botanical hyaluronic acid, ferulic acid, witch hazel, organic aloe Vera and jojoba oil, which is an amazing ingredient for the oily skin.
Lightweight, the serum soaks right into the skin and gives your skin a healthy glow. It hydrates and moisturizes the skin, improving its overall appearance.
The serum glides on smoothly onto the skin and has no strong smell.
Easy to use and low priced, the serum is 98% natural and 100% vegan. It’s also cruelty free and has never been tested on animals.
Let’s go briefly over the pros:
- The serum is 98% natural and 72% organic
- It’s made with vitamin C, jojoba oil and many ingredients good for the oily skin
- It improves the appearance of skin and lessens the visibility of fine lines
- It’s low priced and easy to use
We’re not making a drama out of the minor issues:
- Some think it sits rather on the watery side
- Skin reacts differently so it may not lead to dramatic changes for all
However, as it’s natural and organic, but also dependable and effective for the oily skin, the serum isn’t to be skipped on and it’s quite a bang for your buck.
2. Even though its popularity speaks volumes, we still feel the need of going through a detailed look on TruSkin Naturals Vitamin C Serum for Face, Topical Facial Serum with Hyaluronic Acid & Vitamin E.
The serum is loaded with antioxidants and its formula is based on vitamin C, hyaluronic acid, vitamin E, jojoba oil and aloe Vera.
If vitamin C or E may not bring any news to you, jojoba oil is important to be talked about, especially in the case of oily skin. similar to the naturally produced oil in skin, jojoba oil is great for the oily skin as it regulates the oil production in skin.
The serum isn’t just going to do that for your skin, and its benefits are so many. It diminishes the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles and brightens the skin, fading out dark spots and age spots. It reduces the damage of free radicals and protects the skin from sun. it firms and tones the skin, smoothing out stretch marks or acne scars.
Due to its formula, the serum may be helpful in eczema and psoriasis, but also sooths the skin in sunburns. It doesn’t have a strong scent so you may easily follow it with a moisturizer.
Lightweight and easy to use, the serum may be applied twice a day on a cleansed and dry skin. It absorbs fast into the skin and it’s made in our USA.
As it’s plant-based, it’s better to run a patch test before using it on your face.
Let’s list the main pros:
- The serum is loaded with antioxidants
- It lessens the visibility of fine lines and wrinkles
- It brightens the skin and improves the skin tone
- It’s great for the oily skin
Far from being deal breakers, here are the cons:
- You need to run a patch test just to be sure you’re out of the woods
- Skin reacts differently so it may not work in all cases
Fairly priced and working for your oily skin on so many levels, the serum is going to be a valid choice for most.
3. Whenever you’re feeling like splurging your oily skin, take the leap of faith and spend that extra buck on a serum like Obagi Professional C-Serum.
The high concentration of vitamin C and the long list of the ingredients sure turn the serum into one of the most effective serums for the oily skin. but this doesn’t mean a normal skin isn’t able to benefit from the serum either.
Hyaluronic acid, calcium hydroxide, sorbitol, zinc chloride, and vitamin C are just some of the ingredients that are behind the serum’s performance. The serum is going to brighten brown spots, but also it’s going to smooth out the fine lines and wrinkles. It gives your skin a healthy radiance and hydrates the skin. Smoothing out the skin, the serum gives your skin a younger and healthier appearance altogether.
Due to its formula, the serum fights also against the free radicals that cause the aging process in the first place.
It has a lightweight consistency so it’s not going to need a lot of time until it’s fully absorbed into your skin. It’s powerful, but this doesn’t mean you can’t perfectly include it in your AM and PM skin care routine.
The nice consistency makes the serum easy to layer up and it’s a product that goes great under makeup too.
In order to maintain its properties, it’s better to store it in a dark cool place with temperature ranging from 59 to 68F degrees. Keep it away from direct sunlight too.
Let’s pinpoint our pros:
- It has a strong formula that is great for the oily skin
- It fights the aging in skin
- It reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
- It gives the skin a healthy glow
Even though the price tag may be a downer for some right from the start, we do have to list our cons:
- Some feel the smell it’s a bit weird
- Some doubt its authenticity
Regardless of the minor downsides, the serum still stands as a valid and luxurious option for an oily skin.
Best Face Serum for Oily Skin
4. Benefiting the oily skin on so many levels, the InstaNatural Vitamin C Serum with Hyaluronic Acid & Vit E is always a good option to try.
The serum is based on vitamin C, so it’s going to put on hold the aging of your, minimizing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Additionally, it protects the skin from sun’s damage and reduces the risk for future damage as well. It brightens the skin complexion and fades out dark spots of various causes.
Hyaluronic acid is another ingredient within the formula so the serum is also going to hydrate and moisturize your skin, for a longer time. It fills in the fine lines and wrinkles, giving your skin a fresher feel.
The strong formula of the serum explains why you may confidently use it also for eliminating patchy skin and dryness. It’s safe to use it though on all skin types.
The list of ingredients continues with the argan oil, sea buckthorn oil, vitamin E and organic rosehip oil. Gingko biloba, camellia sinensis leaf extract, punica granatum extract, witch hazel, grapefruit peel oil, licorice root extract, carrot seed oil, dandelion extract, and apricot kernel oil are also within the formula.
The serum absorbs fast into the skin and dries fast. It’s safe and efficient and the risk for irritation is minor. You only need a bit of it for each use and its subtle smell doesn’t linger for long time on skin, making combination with other cosmetics rather easy.
Apply and massage gently the serum on your cleansed skin. play it safe and moisturize afterwards.
Here are our favs about the serum:
- The serum has a powerful formula
- It hydrates and moisturizes the skin, smoothing the signs of aging
- It reduces the risk for future damage to the skin
- It’s great for the oily skin
The cons are no reason for one to back down:
- One may feel it a bit on the thick side
- The results may differ
Well priced and bringing so many benefits for the oily skin, the serum stands as a valid choice whenever in need.
Best Anti-Aging Serum for Oily Skin
5. There are many anti-aging serums out there, but not all of them are going to do great on the oily skin. One of the options that you should try, given the fact that is both effective and affordable, is the Vernal Skincare – Best Hyaluronic Acid Serum with Vitamin C, A, D & E.
The serum is made with Vernal combo of pure hyaluronic acid that is going deep into the skin, for slowing down the aging of skin. The serum includes anti-pollution powder that is going to stop outer stressors from damaging the skin. Skingenecell 1P slows down the age-accelerating effects of Serpin 3 that cause aging, whereas popular moisturizing and botanical ingredients are going to smooth, plump and hydrate the skin.
Due to its formula, the serum reduces coarse wrinkles and sustains transportation of moisturizers into the cell for bio-activity. It reduces inflammation and brings comfort to irritated skin. The serum helps the skin’s natural barrier get stronger, minimizing the damage of outer aggressors.
All in all, the serum lessens the visibility of wrinkles and sagging, minimizing enlarged pores. It helps the skin get clearer and more radiant, while improving its elasticity and its overall appearance.
The serum works for all skin and even the most sensitive skin. It doesn’t clog pores and has a lightweight consistency that goes right into the skin. It has an amazing smell and it’s good value for the money. It doesn’t contain parabens or sulfates.
Let’s take a closer look at the pros:
- It’s made with hyaluronic acid and natural ingredients
- It slows down the aging of skin thanks to its powerful formula
- It gives the skin a healthy glow
- It doesn’t clog pores and smells amazing
We’re not changing our mind over some minor issues:
- Not everyone is going to get impressive results
- Some peeling may happen in the case of very sensitive skin
The good outweighs the bad though and the serum stands as an affordable and effective anti-aging option for your oily skin, any given day.
Best Serum for Oily Acne Prone Skin
6. The high concentration of 22% Vitamin C turns the Vitamin C Serum 22 by Serumtologie into a serum that benefits the oily acne-prone skin in many ways.
Not only the serum is going to put the aging process on hold, but it’s also going to address the acne problem, as its formula includes so many natural and organic ingredients. The serum is effective, but it doesn’t mean it’s not gentle enough to be used on all skin types.
The serum is made with natural and organic ingredients and it’s 100% vegan and the list of ingredients is quite long. Vitamin C, horsetail extract, gotu kola, dandelion, aloe Vera, wild geranium, botanical hyaluronic acid, ferulic acid, witch hazel, jojoba oil and vitamin E are just some of the ingredients that stay behind the serum’s performance.
This is why the serum is able to diminish the signs of aging, but also to control the excess oil in skin, minimizing the risk for acne or acne reoccurrence.
The formula doesn’t include sulfates, synthetic dyes, parabens, petrochemicals or GMO’s and has never been tested on animals.
Sitting on the thick side, the serum still doesn’t need much time to fully absorb into the skin. a little goes a long way and the serum is going to get you good for quite some time. It dries fast and has a nice smell. It doesn’t leave a residue on skin, but leaves it smooth and with a nice soft touch feel.
We really like the design and the packaging and the serum is worth your attention whenever in need.
Here are our favs about it:
- It’s made with natural ingredients
- It controls the oil production in skin and reduces risk for acne
- It’s effective and safe for all skin types
- It’s easy to use and has a pleasant smell
The inherent flaws are no downer for us, but it’s important to have the whole picture:
- Its performance on hyperpigmentation may be improved
- Its consistency is thicker than expected
Nevertheless, for the overall performance and good price, you shouldn’t say “no” to the serum when shopping.
Best Vitamin C Serum for Oily Skin
7. Going shopping on a tight budget is no picnic but you don’t have to come back empty handed. Affordable and yet effective, Claire-Ity 25% Vitamin C serum is quite a nice surprise considering the money you’re paying.
The 25% Vitamin concentration is what makes the serum pop from its competitors. However, the list of ingredients is longer than that and includes hyaluronic acid, gotu kola extract, vitamin E, witch hazel leaf extract, aloe Vera, horsetail extract, green tea and rosemary leaf extract. The serum also contains joja oil, which is a great ingredient for the oily skin. jojoba oil is similar to the naturally produced sebum and it’s able to control the oil production in skin.
The serum is non-comedogenic and reduces the risk for acne and breakouts. It reduces inflammation and smooths out the fine lines. It eliminates puffiness from skin and calms the skin in eczema. It tightens the skin and improves circulation, leading to younger and better looking skin.
Made in our USA, the serum doesn’t contain alcohol or parabens. You may include it in your morning and night skin care routine, right under makeup. It doesn’t leave a residue and absorbs rather easy.
Here’s what we really like about it:
- It controls the oil production in skin
- It reduces the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines
- It smooths out the dark spots and brightens the skin
- It eliminates puffiness from the skin
- It’s low priced
Don’t make a drama out of the minor problems:
- Some didn’t expect the serum to have a gel like consistency
- It may not give results for every one
Loaded with natural ingredients and bringing to many good things to the table, the serum isn’t an option to skip on when shopping, especially if you’re going on a tight budget.
Best Night Serum for Oily Skin
8. Formulated on 12% AHA/BHA blend, the T.L.C. Framboos Glycolic Night Serum by Drunk Elephant is one of the options that you can include in your daily night time skin care routine.
The night serum is going to reduce the visibility of fine lines and wrinkles, revealing softer and nicer looking skin. It helps the other cosmetic products go deeper and easier into the skin too.
The high-tech gel is going to eliminate dead skin cell and dullness from your skin, evening your skin tone and chemically exfoliating the skin. In spite its effect, it doesn’t dry out the skin and it’s quite gentle.
You’re going to find plenty of ingredients within the formula and each of them plays its part in the serum’s performance. Glycolic acid is going to reduce the appearance of scars and hyperpigmentation of various causes. It’s safe to use even on sensitive skin and gives your skin a smoother and fresher feel.
The list also includes lactic acid, tartaric acid, salicylic acid, citric acid, aloe Vera, raspberry fruit extract and camellia sinensis leaf extract.
The serum is able to reduce inflammation and redness, without clogging the pores. It smooths out sun spots and makes wrinkles more difficult to notice. It comforts the skin in various skin conditions and slows down the aging of the skin.
The serum has a pH level of 3.8 to 4 and stands out from many cosmetic products out there. It doesn’t contain sulfates, parabens or phthalates. It’s vegan and has never been tested on animals.
A slight tingling is likely to happen in the beginning, but this is just your skin adjusting to the formula. It’s also a wise thing to gradually include the serum into your night time skin care routine. It’s a great serum especially for spot treatment.
Let’s go over the main things once again:
- it has a strong, yet gentle formula
- it smooths out the dark spots and wrinkles
- it slows down the aging of skin
- it gives your skin a healthy glow and evens the skin tone.
We’re not that worried about the inherent issues:
- it may leave a sticky feel
- it’s not the cheapest serum out there
Having said that, the serum is going to do your oily skin good on many levels, therefore you should pay the high dollar, especially if you’re a skin care aficionada.
Best Hydrating Serum for Oily Skin
9. Dependable and deeply nourishing your oily skin, the Replenix Pure Hydration Hyaluronic Acid Serum may be just the right hydrating option for your skin.
The serum moisturizes your skin for all day long, but also slows down the aging of your skin as it’s formulated on antioxidants and efficient humectants. It makes your skin brighter and rejuvenated, leaving a fresh feel behind every time.
Even if the formula is strong, that doesn’t mean it’s not safe to use on all skin types, sensitive skin including.
The main ingredient within the serum is hyaluronic acid which is why the serum is so hydrating for your skin. Peptides, retinol, natural green tea polyphenols and caffeine are also in the formula and the serum has anti-aging abilities as well.
Due to its ingredients, the serum encourages a healthy collagen production and helps the skin protect better against the outer stressors. Zinc PCA and Copper PCA are well known for their ability of controlling the excess oil in skin.
On top of everything else, the serum is safe to use when treating psoriasis, eczema, acne or pigmentation.
The risk for irritation is minor and the serum minimizes itchiness and redness. It’s gentle enough to be used on sensitive skin and keeps blackheads at distance.
You may use the serum AM and PM, watching carefully for unpleasant reactions from your skin. it comes with a dropper so there’s nothing complicated about its use. It gives your skin a healthy glow and feels nice on skin.
Let’s go over the main qualities once again:
- It hydrates and moisturizes the skin for a long time
- It controls the excess oil in skin
- It protects the skin from the outer stressors
- It improves the overall appearance of your skin
We’re not forgetting about the minor issues, even though they’re not major:
- It’s not a cheap serum
- One may feel it a bit sticky
However, as it’s hydrating and moisturizing for an oily skin, but has other benefits too, you should pay the extra buck and splurge your skin with the serum.